The tale of two lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM

v

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR LD Aspherical (IF) Lens

Do any of you own these and can point out the comparative differences?

Thanks.

Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 IS USM

v

Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR LD Aspherical (IF) Lens

Do any of you own these and can point out the comparative differences?

Thanks.

I had both... Upgraded from the Tammy to the Canon... World of difference, although the Tammy was decent tbf

I've never owned the Tamron but I have owned the Canon and the other filly in this stable, the Sigma 17-50.

The Sigma was smaller, better build and came with a lens hood. The Canon is big and heavy, not what I would consider a 'kit lens' size. Manual focus ring and zoom mechanisms also feel cheap on the Canon. IQ wise there is nothing to choose between them. I ended up with the Canon simply because the Sigma would not autofocus on my old DSLR - from surfing various photography forums this seems to be a common complaint, you can send them off to Sigma to get rechipped but I couldn't be arsed as I wanted something quick for my trip to Iceland.

Not over the Sigma IMHO, but YMMV.

The large size and poor manual focus ring are big negatives with the Canon for me, but they are particular priorities of mine.

Got to be honest mate and I found the 17-55mm canon one of the best lenses I've ever used.

Never used the Sigma but from the reviews I read the Tamron was better than the Sigma, and the Canon better than the Tamron.

Maybe you just used a bad copy?

So paying extra for the Canon wont get me better IQ?

Yes it will... much better IMO and the bokeh is far nicer.

When I used the Canon for the 1st time I was blown away... everything looked sharper but smoother at the same time. Colour rendition was also much nicer.

Mind you it depends on what you want it for... I shot weddings successfully on the Tammy so it's a good performer, but I found it a little soft and had to do more sharpening in PP over the Canon. Like I said though for me the Canon was far better in every way and I was actually sad to sell it once I went FF

To compare the 2 lenses here's a couple of weddings, one shot on the Tammy and the other on the Canon. Please excuse my slightly dubious processing on the Tammy wedding with the 'vintage' attempt on some pics, I was experimenting and in hindsight probably shouldn't have :lol:

Tammy:
http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk/portfolio-item/stacey-lees-wedding/

Canon:
http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk/portfolio-item/terry-marks-wedding/

Both weddings were shot within a few weeks of each other so no real difference in my skill level at the time, so any difference will be from lens alone. It's fair to say I have improved since these weddings!

To the layman there's probs no real difference but I can certainly tell and could instantly after using the Canon for the 1st time

When I used the Canon for the 1st time I was blown away... everything looked sharper but smoother at the same time. Colour rendition was also much nicer.

Interesting, I use the Canon 17-55 and sharpness is one thing mine doesn't have -surprisingly my 18-55 kit lens is actually sharper at the same aperture settings, especially at the edges although the 17-55 sharpness doesn't deteriorate significantly when you have it wide open - which you obviously can do across the full zoom range.

That said, you can make things "pop" quite well with it as it has a lovely bokeh, plenty of rich colour and contrast too.

I know what smoker means about the focus ring, but I very rarely use manual focus on it so that's not an issue for me. Autofocus is very quick.

I assume you aren't going to the Lakes? I could bring it with me and you would be welcome to use it.

Interesting, I use the Canon 17-55 and sharpness is one thing mine doesn't have -surprisingly my 18-55 kit lens is actually sharper at the same aperture settings, especially at the edges although the 17-55 sharpness doesn't deteriorate significantly when you have it wide open - which you obviously can do across the full zoom range.

That said, you can make things "pop" quite well with it as it has a lovely bokeh, plenty of rich colour and contrast too.

I know what smoker means about the focus ring, but I very rarely use manual focus on it so that's not an issue for me. Autofocus is very quick.

I assume you aren't going to the Lakes? I could bring it with me and you would be welcome to use it.

My mate had similar issues with his version... think there's maybe some QC issues with it maybe? I know a good copy is uber good though from my own experiences.

Actually just remembered I sold my copy to The King of Seaburn on here. not that it makes any difference, I just remembered that's who took it off my hands

Got to be honest mate and I found the 17-55mm canon one of the best lenses I've ever used.

Never used the Sigma but from the reviews I read the Tamron was better than the Sigma, and the Canon better than the Tamron.

Maybe you just used a bad copy?

Yes it will... much better IMO and the bokeh is far nicer.

Mind you it depends on what you want it for... I shot weddings successfully on the Tammy so it's a good performer, but I found it a little soft and had to do more sharpening in PP over the Canon. Like I said though for me the Canon was far better in every way and I was actually sad to sell it once I went FF

To compare the 2 lenses here's a couple of weddings, one shot on the Tammy and the other on the Canon. Please excuse my slightly dubious processing on the Tammy wedding with the 'vintage' attempt on some pics, I was experimenting and in hindsight probably shouldn't have :lol:

Tammy:
http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk/portfolio-item/stacey-lees-wedding/

Canon:
http://www.andyhudsonphotography.co.uk/portfolio-item/terry-marks-wedding/

Both weddings were shot within a few weeks of each other so no real difference in my skill level at the time, so any difference will be from lens alone. It's fair to say I have improved since these weddings!

To the layman there's probs no real difference but I can certainly tell and could instantly after using the Canon for the 1st time

Patronising git. Maybe you are just a brand snob? :lol:

It was a good lens - tack sharp, and took pics as good as anything else I have seen with a 17-55. My point is the Sigma is a really good lens aside from the autofocus problems.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/efs17-55/

Patronising git. Maybe you are just a brand snob? :lol:

It was a good lens - tack sharp, and took pics as good as anything else I have seen with a 17-55. My point is the Sigma is a really good lens aside from the autofocus problems.

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/efs17-55/

Haha nah I have owned a 17-50mm Tamron and my main zoom is a 24-70mm Tamron so i'm not bothered about 3rd party.

All the reviews said the Simga was the worst of the 3 though.

My mate had similar issues with his version... think there's maybe some QC issues with it maybe? I know a good copy is uber good though from my own experiences.

I have a 7D now, so might try microfocus adjustment and see if it makes any difference. Wouldn't really expect it to as the lack of sharpness is just as apparent on distant objects with a large DoF but I guess it is worth a try.

A do like the lens, and it's not exactly soft, just not as sharp as it might be!

I have a 7D now, so might try microfocus adjustment and see if it makes any difference. Wouldn't really expect it to as the lack of sharpness is just as apparent on distant objects with a large DoF but I guess it is worth a try.

A do like the lens, and it's not exactly soft, just not as sharp as it might be!

Worth a try.. I definitely noticed a big step up in sharpness on the canon over the tamron. Is it still under warranty as if the micro adjust doesn't work I'd send it back and get a new copy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back