The Shape of Water

• Thread starter Deleted member 5265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 5265

Heavily garlanded in the Oscar nominations I see.

From what I can see from the trailers, a white woman and a black woman play the part of the kid in ET.

Is this Hollywood saying sorry?

Three billboards is one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. Very surprised McDonagh didn’t get nominated for best director.

Looking forward to seeing shape of water too. Del toro always makes interesting films even if they’re a bit inconsistent.

I've seen the trailer and read the synopsis and it sounds like it will be totally generic and uninspiring on the face of it.

I feel quite a bit of his stuff has been quite uninspiring. Some beautifully stylised films, but some absolute tosh to boot, namely Pacific Rim.
Imagine my surprise! ;)

Pacific rim, I’ll give you. It was only ok.

However after pans labyrinth, cronos, devils backbone and even the hellboy films I think he’s allowed a dud.

Whatever you might think about his films, unoriginal is not something that can be said for them.

It's alright but nowhere near as good as 3 Billboards.
You’ve seen shape of water??

Imagine my surprise! ;)

However after pans labyrinth, cronos, devils backbone and even the hellboy films I think he’s allowed a dud.

Whatever you might think about his films, unoriginal is not something that can be said for them.

I love Pan's Labyrinth but, underneath the lavishly bizarre visuals, it's a pretty straightforward tale. A lot of del Toro's skill comes from visual mastery (Pan's and Hellboy, for example) rather than storytelling for me.

Imagine my surprise! ;)

Total tangent but this reminded me of religion and the humans need to demand a creator. The puddle. I can't recall who said it. A shape, an indentation in the floor exists. The rain falls. Later exists a puddle, the puddle 'becomes' and asks itself, informs itself, this is a miracle, we could only, possibly exist because this was already here to perfectly form us, to fit us. How did it know we would create this exact shape. Etc etc. I like that. and yes I know I've said it craply. I think it removes 80% of the thought that we think we are special, it harks that we are here because of pre existing circumstance. A chain of events. Things don't fit to us. We fit to things.

I've never seen or heard of these movies.

Back