The Shape of Things to Come

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have leaned a few things during this pandemic but one thing for sure is that we need more paramedics and ambulances. An increase in ICU and AMU capacity also and in fact several other aspects of the NHS infrastructure if we are to keep ahead of the curve in future global pandemics which could become more common due to global warming.

I also questioned of what use is my local GPs. The last year I needed them twice but all I got was a Nurse Practitioner over the telephone. I wonder whether the doctors have disappeared into an underground bunker and only raise the periscope once in a while to check if the pandemic is over. On the other hand you have front line nurses and doctors operating in the equivalent of a war zone.

So do we really need GPs themselves? Personally I think this is an area that artificial intelligence would be very effective. Connected to a huge medical database an AU unit would be extremely quick to diagnose. OK, GPs would have to downgrade and become technicians with a corresponding drop in wages and they wont like that but technology has affected the rest of society and to deny the inevitable is liking waiting until sea level reaches your ankles and still denying we have a problem.

We need to revamp the NHS and once this pandemic is over that would be a good time to modernise and streamline the whole system. Let's face it modern GPs are nothing like the old family doctors of decades ago. Personally, I'd rather consult an AU.

I've had x2 consultations with a GP since this all started, both over the telephone and one referral to primary care & practice respectively. I found it much more efficient for all parties than having me drive to the practice for an initial consultation.

Both of these consultations started with an AI process as it happens, with a series of questions which either direct you to a GP call or advise you call 111.

Definitely improvements and innovations to be made but at the centre of it need to be actual GP's.

We have leaned a few things during this pandemic but one thing for sure is that we need more paramedics and ambulances. An increase in ICU and AMU capacity also and in fact several other aspects of the NHS infrastructure if we are to keep ahead of the curve in future global pandemics which could become more common due to global warming.

I also questioned of what use is my local GPs. The last year I needed them twice but all I got was a Nurse Practitioner over the telephone. I wonder whether the doctors have disappeared into an underground bunker and only raise the stethoscope once in a while to check if the pandemic is over. On the other hand you have front line nurses and doctors operating in the equivalent of a war zone.

So do we really need GPs themselves? Personally I think this is an area that artificial intelligence would be very effective. Connected to a huge medical database an AU unit would be extremely quick to diagnose. OK, GPs would have to downgrade and become technicians with a corresponding drop in wages and they wont like that but technology has affected the rest of society and to deny the inevitable is liking waiting until sea level reaches your ankles and still denying we have a problem.

We need to revamp the NHS and once this pandemic is over that would be a good time to modernise and streamline the whole system. Let's face it modern GPs are nothing like the old family doctors of decades ago. Personally, I'd rather consult an AU.
Tidied.

And agree.

Unless this AI can stick its finger up my arse and check my prostate, I'd say GPs are going nowhere.

PS - If you find a robot that can do this, let me know. Asking for a friend.

:)

Far be it for me to cramp your style but an Alien type gadget could be connected to the AI if you prefer a bit of anal probing or indeed the probing of any other orifices. Looking at my GP, I certainly hope he never needs to give me the one finger salute up my arse so I'll take the AI.

Last edited:
:)

Far be it for me to cramp your style but an Alien type gadget could be connected to the AI if you prefer a bit of anal probing or indeed the probing of any other orifices. Looking at my GP, I certainly hope he never needs to give me the one finger salute up my arse so I'll take the AI.
It’s when SHE needs to ram a camera up your penis you should worry about

I've had x2 consultations with a GP since this all started, both over the telephone and one referral to primary care & practice respectively. I found it much more efficient for all parties than having me drive to the practice for an initial consultation.

Both of these consultations started with an AI process as it happens, with a series of questions which either direct you to a GP call or advise you call 111.

Definitely improvements and innovations to be made but at the centre of it need to be actual GP's.

Well it wont happen overnight but be a gradual introduction of technology as is the usual way but in 20 years....

GPs needs to train for several years, possibly 7, I think. The cost of training more doctors to cope with an increased load will be very high. All an AI would need is an update of its database. Nurses would be still needed though and their number could even be increased.

When I was a young kid all you needed was to be able to drive a van and have some basic first aid training to become an ambulance driver. Today paramedics are much more highly trained and the modern ambulance has much more sophisticated equipment. A more extended mobile service with even more sophisticated technology would be more useful.

Last edited:
GP appointments over the phone are class, and hopefully they'll keep the option after this. Twice I needed a GP last year, twice organised to phone me at set time, twice got a prescription sent to my local pharmacy to pick up on my way home. No taking the morning off work and no sitting in a waiting room with poorly scratters. Win win

GP appointments over the phone are class, and hopefully they'll keep the option after this. Twice I needed a GP last year, twice organised to phone me at set time, twice got a prescription sent to my local pharmacy to pick up on my way home. No taking the morning off work and no sitting in a waiting room with poorly scratters. Win win

I think this is definitely a way forward. Most of the time you know what is wrong with you and what the Doctor will prescribe. The telephone appointment will leave more time for GPs to deal with more problematical issues. They can also screen out the timewasters.

One thing from all this, we certainly need to tackle the obesity epidemic in this country. Certainly come to the forefront with Covid.

Need actual education on nutrition and nutrient dense food to be cheaper.

When you’ve got the likes of Slimming World peddling absolute shite and a BMI index that the NHS not fit for purpose it’s easy to see why we have this problem.

Need actual education on nutrition and nutrient dense food to be cheaper.

When you’ve got the likes of Slimming World peddling absolute shite and a BMI index that the NHS not fit for purpose it’s easy to see why we have this problem.

It's a difficult one like. The entire country is saturated with mcdonlands and KFC type developments , and endless rows of take aways where grocery shops and bakers etc... Used to be.
stop spending ludicrous amounts on aircraft carriers and divert it to nhs.

Exactly. All these nuclear subs and the whole world is on its knees due to something you can only see with a microscope and doesn't give a fuck what country you are from

My medical practice was already operating more this way before the pandemic. It's been a couple of years at least since I've seen a GP. I suffer from COPD and so in the past have been prone to chest infections. I'd ring up and be prescribed antibiotics and steroids that were delivered from my named chemist. It's been fine but I've noticed the last couple of years they've handed that problem over to the inhouse pharmacist and more lately to the Nurse Practitioner. To be fair the nurse has been better, she's changed my medication and sent me to the hospital for a chest x-ray. She said I needed a blood test but on New Year's Day I started shingles. Again the nurse was spot on with the antivirals. However, even though its over three weeks now when I rang reception to arrange a blood test they nearly shit themselves when I said I had had shingles and told me wait longer in case I infected someone. :)

So why do I need a GP?

Last edited:
One thing from all this, we certainly need to tackle the obesity epidemic in this country. Certainly come to the forefront with Covid.
I went to an Obesity seminar around 15 years ago, ran by Sunderland council, had a load of health professionals all talking a good game in how to halt the growing obesity crisis.

Fast forward to now, it’s 10x worse.

Impossible to stop it now, too far ingrained into modern society.

I went to an Obesity seminar around 15 years ago, ran by Sunderland council, had a load of health professionals all talking a good game in how to halt the growing obesity crisis.

Fast forward to now, it’s 10x worse.

Impossible to stop it now, too far ingrained into modern society.

10 years ago they were probably talking about reducing saturated fat in the diet but it turns out sugar was the real culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back