The owners

Who knows, elements are probably true. Underachieving club with a big fanbase.

Not too dissimilar from the Mags, obviously without the added note that the Saudi's wanted a disillusioned fanbase full of dopes who would turn a blind eye to their murderous ways if it meant they could feel like a "big clerb" again.
The main reason we are vastly different from the mags from an investment perspective is that we arenā€™t a marketable city. Brighton are a nothing club but an extremely marketable city in example. Iā€™ve always been surprised Leeds havenā€™t been bankrolled yet as the area is in a massive boom period of growth and wealth.

People on here can bury their heads in the sand as much as they want but a nice seafront isnā€™t something that attracts a mega investor. A thriving regional capital ie Manchester, Leeds etc with an abundance of wealthy plastics/ tourists is what attracts big footballing investment

Last edited:
My take on your owners is the following (tin hat on)

Buy a cheap but well supported club in the third tier, push to get promoted twice and then sell. This because the club is suddenly worth premier league payment riches.

It hasnā€™t worked out like that despite the main owner having capital (the trust fund, though I have no idea on the liquidity that he has available). He isnā€™t prepared to risk significant greater outlay as promotion isnā€™t guaranteed.
I suspect that the purchase of your club was an investment decision that had nothing to with your history or support and was focussed upon showing his family that he too could generate capital.

Please spare me the ā€œf***ing magā€ bs, Iā€™ve been on here for years and would like nothing better than to have you back in the PL (except us winning something šŸ˜‚)
At this rate neither will happen!!
The main reason we are vastly different from the mags from an investment perspective is that we arenā€™t a marketable city. Brighton are a nothing club but an extremely marketable city in example. Iā€™ve always been surprised Leeds havenā€™t been bankrolled yet as the area is in a massive boom period of growth and wealth.

People on here can bury their heads in the sand as much as they want but a nice seafront isnā€™t something that attracts a mega investor. A thriving regional capital ie Manchester, Leeds etc with an abundance of wealthy plastics/ tourists is what attracts big footballing investment
Except Brighton were bought by a wealthy Brighton fan, go figure!!

Last edited:

Buy a cheap but well supported club in the third tier, push to get promoted twice and then sell. This because the club is suddenly worth premier league payment riches.

It hasnā€™t worked out like that despite the main owner having capital (the trust fund, though I have no idea on the liquidity that he has available). He isnā€™t prepared to risk significant greater outlay as promotion isnā€™t guaranteed.
I suspect that the purchase of your club was an investment decision that had nothing to with your history or support and was focussed upon showing his family that he too could generate capital.

Please spare me the ā€œf***ing magā€ bs, Iā€™ve been on here for years and would like nothing better than to have you back in the PL (except us winning something šŸ˜‚)
Get lost Mag

Well, Talk about a blast from the past.

How does fuck off sound we have a proper fan base who are proud to support there team no matter what division with a clean identity not like you fuckers up the road with your dirty money we will support Sunderland till we die with a clear conscience so fuck off

Well said marra, I share your view.

Clearly the recent two transfer windows have been very, very poor, as was the debacle over the BCB, so this summer is going to be critical. A large proportion of the fan base thought TM had (sadly) taken the club as far as he could.

He might have taken that squad as far as he could but that was further than most other managers could have and was a reflection of the squad, not TM. The last 3 transfer windows have been disasters, not 2, and many of the signings from earlier windows now look to be nowhere near the successful signings we thought they were, whether through persistent injury or loss of form.

The gulf between our first-choice eleven an the rest of the squad has become so vast that given a lengthy injury list, we are just not capable of competing at this level. We need to start recruiting again in the way professional, functional football clubs do, by identifying weaknesses in the squad and working to address them, rather than just targeting kids based on wages, fee and availability and hoping a head coach can somehow cobble together a successful team from them. A club the size of Sunderland deserves better than that.

He might have taken that squad as far as he could but that was further than most other managers could have and was a reflection of the squad, not TM. The last 3 transfer windows have been disasters, not 2, and many of the signings from earlier windows now look to be nowhere near the successful signings we thought they were, whether through persistent injury or loss of form.

The gulf between our first-choice eleven an the rest of the squad has become so vast that given a lengthy injury list, we are just not capable of competing at this level. We need to start recruiting again in the way professional, functional football clubs do, by identifying weaknesses in the squad and working to address them, rather than just targeting kids based on wages, fee and availability and hoping a head coach can somehow cobble together a successful team from them. A club the size of Sunderland deserves better than that.
It would be sheer luck if we get promoted under the current model, and I seriously doubt any decent ambitious coach will be really interested when working with both hands tied behind his back, unless they are out of work and just think "fuck it what have I got to lose?", the BCB and recent window failures about an experienced forward or leader are seriously sticking in my throat mind, I'm waiting to see how it pans out...

I think only a fool would buy a football club in the clip ours was in, and realistically expect to get it promoted twice in 3 years, just to make a quick buck.

Nobody gets into football club ownership to make money. The only way to make a small fortune doing that is to start off with a large one.

I think the owner is genuine and means well. He's in it for the sport. He loves the game. He's not as well funded as some owners, rules will dictate how much he can fund the team directly, and he wants to go about things his own way. It'll take time. It might not even work. We'll have to wait and see.

Big mistakes have been made and some big calls need to be made. Give him a chance yet though, he's gotten us this far at least.
Given the club's stance on Jack Clarke contract as the most recent example of their behaviour is clear our interpretation of what constitutes a mistake is very different from theirs. They are still carrying on in exactly the same way. They clearly don't think they've made mistakes and believe what they are doing is in line with what they actually want to achieve. Not what they state in public they want to achieve.

Very much my reading of our situation.

I can't disagree with what you say and if 'the model' is purely to do with the recruitment, development and sale of young talent then we really are not going to get anywhere, which is why I talk of developing the model. To be fair we haven't sold anyone yet (I know know we sold Ross Stewart but he wasn't going to sign a new deal) and I realise that Jack Clarke will almost certainly go in the summer, but we need to keep Ballard, Neil, Patto, Hume, Rigg etc. otherwise we will go backwards. That we need experience is clear for all to see, and CF and DCM are two positions which need that experience.

My hope - assuming selling Clarke is something we cannot avoid - is that he is the only significant departure and we invest in three or four experienced players and address the squad weaknesses (CF, DCM, CH, LW). I doubt we can expect more than that, bolstered by a few more less experienced no doubt; and the hope that Alese, Cirkin, Huggins can stay fit.

If we sell more than Clarke, don't invest in experience here and there, don't address the glaring weaknesses in the team then the ownership, Speakman etc. will rightly be criticised.

People on here can bury their heads in the sand as much as they want but a nice seafront isnā€™t something that attracts a mega investor.
A thriving regional capital ie Manchester, Leeds etc with an abundance of wealthy plastics/ tourists is what attracts big footballing investment

You will be surprised how many potential meggar rich investors favour a sandy environment above any other as a consequence of them living in one.
You only have to look up the road to see that

Given the club's stance on Jack Clarke contract as the most recent example of their behaviour is clear our interpretation of what constitutes a mistake is very different from theirs. They are still carrying on in exactly the same way. They clearly don't think they've made mistakes and believe what they are doing is in line with what they actually want to achieve. Not what they state in public they want to achieve.
Well it sure is. Buy cheap, develop and sell. If true what Hart says nobody needs to dream about premier league. 5 years modelā€¦..my arseā€¦.had their chance and threw it away (twice)

Back