The owners

Fat Lady Racing

Midfield
Lost Magpie
My take on your owners is the following (tin hat on)

Buy a cheap but well supported club in the third tier, push to get promoted twice and then sell. This because the club is suddenly worth premier league payment riches.

It hasn’t worked out like that despite the main owner having capital (the trust fund, though I have no idea on the liquidity that he has available). He isn’t prepared to risk significant greater outlay as promotion isn’t guaranteed.
I suspect that the purchase of your club was an investment decision that had nothing to with your history or support and was focussed upon showing his family that he too could generate capital.

Please spare me the “f***ing mag” bs, I’ve been on here for years and would like nothing better than to have you back in the PL (except us winning something 😂)

Buy a cheap but well supported club in the third tier, push to get promoted twice and then sell. This because the club is suddenly worth premier league payment riches.

It hasn’t worked out like that despite the main owner having capital (the trust fund, though I have no idea on the liquidity that he has available). He isn’t prepared to risk significant greater outlay as promotion isn’t guaranteed.
I suspect that the purchase of your club was an investment decision that had nothing to with your history or support and was focussed upon showing his family that he too could generate capital.

Please spare me the “f***ing mag” bs, I’ve been on here for years and would like nothing better than to have you back in the PL (except us winning something 😂)
They had a good chance to get us promoted last season and shit thasels so God knows what the plan is. The rich boy is experimenting and loves the Saudis as much as you lot do

I think only a fool would buy a football club in the clip ours was in, and realistically expect to get it promoted twice in 3 years, just to make a quick buck.

Nobody gets into football club ownership to make money. The only way to make a small fortune doing that is to start off with a large one.

I think the owner is genuine and means well. He's in it for the sport. He loves the game. He's not as well funded as some owners, rules will dictate how much he can fund the team directly, and he wants to go about things his own way. It'll take time. It might not even work. We'll have to wait and see.

Big mistakes have been made and some big calls need to be made. Give him a chance yet though, he's gotten us this far at least.

Last edited:

Sounds about right to me like, seems a distant memory the speech about being Custdonians of the club & doing the club proud ....been anything but that since early December

I think only a fool would buy a football club in the clip ours was in, and realistically expect to get it promoted twice in 3 years, just to make a quick buck.

Nobody gets into football club ownership to make money. The only way to make a small fortune doing that is to start off with a large one.

I think the owner is genuine and means well. He's in it for the sport. He loves the game. He's not as well funded as some owners, rules will dictate how much he can fund the team directly, and he wants to go about things his own way. It'll take time. It might not even work. We'll have to wait and see.

Big mistakes have been made and some big calls need to be made. Give him a chance yet though, he's gotten us this far at least.
Well said marra, I share your view.

Clearly the recent two transfer windows have been very, very poor, as was the debacle over the BCB, so this summer is going to be critical. A large proportion of the fan base thought TM had (sadly) taken the club as far as he could, unfortunately (another major cock up) we appointed Beale, so the ownership have some ground to make up, but as we have seen with Everton, Forest, Leicester, Wigan, Reading the football authorities are getting real about FFP, and as unfair as the rules are, ensuring the rich get richer and the poor poorer, they are the rules, and at least our owners are alive to it and trying to avoid a financial fallout.

BCB, Beale, recent recruitment - I sincerely hope they have learnt a harsh lesson and adapt and improve the model going forward.

both never happen so nowt to get excited about

Good post

Not a gays chance in Saudi did they expect back to back promotions.

I think there's an element of truth in terms of him wanting to show he can sensibly (sustainably) run a club, and fully believe that he'd ultimately like to get ownership in Marseille. But as others have mentioned, there's no way he'll have expected to go up twice in this time frame from where we were when he came in. A 5 year plan with a hope of being able to challenge for a second promotion at the end of it is possible and, regardless of this season going pretty badly in several ways, he'll probably still think that's a possibility. Will need a big summer though.

In terms of outlay, I think the fact that winning the playoffs alway looked difficult even with a couple of players in might have been part of the reason why he didn't want to spend loads on a short term option. But again he's got to look to invest sensibly in the summer if he wants to get the second promotion. If he did get us up I doubt he'd sell straight away, but equally I wouldn't be surprised if he was open to approaches at that time

The club is far too big for them both.
Far too big for the previous owners.
Far too easy for the one before that.

The future? Short would have benefitted from someone knowing what they were doing. We may of then had a chance.
We've flirted with real danger.

Mag

I’d take our lot every day over yours. No blood on our hands :)

Well obviously

Back