'The North'?

• Thread starter Deleted member 14766
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 14766

Lass on Strictly (yeah, whatever) who doesn't sound at all 'northern' was apparently pleased that she got through to the Blackpool show because it created an opportunity to return to The North' where her family comes from.

The film they show before the dances had her visiting her Nanna in said North. It was in Hull.

Now I recognise that for people on the SE there's a generic area just past Birmingham and before Scotland that's just 'upNorth' and they don't have a clue. But somebody who comes from 'The North' would surely realise that Hull is a little bit east of Blackpool.

Are we all just a big homogenous lump marked 'here be dragons' on the map now? Does anything further north than the M62 corridor actually exist in the fevered imaginations of people living further south?

Lass on Strictly (yeah, whatever) who doesn't sound at all 'northern' was apparently pleased that she got through to the Blackpool show because it created an opportunity to return to The North' where her family comes from.

The film they show before the dances had her visiting her Nanna in said North. It was in Hull.

Now I recognise that for people on the SE there's a generic area just past Birmingham and before Scotland that's just 'upNorth' and they don't have a clue. But somebody who comes from 'The North' would surely realise that Hull is a little bit east of Blackpool.

Are we all just a big homogenous lump marked 'here be dragons' on the map now? Does anything further north than the M62 corridor actually exist in the fevered imaginations of people living further south?

They made it sound like Hull and Blackpool were just round the corner from each other :eek:

Wouldn' like to walk the fucker

Anything past Watford Gap - they all wear clogs, flat caps and eat whippets....

Aye, they haven’t a clue.

You’re not proper northern until you’re mid conversation with someone of the older generation talking about the pros and cons of trying to catch weasels and to that end what prey a weasel is capable of killing (this happened to me recently and has been tickling me ever since)

People in our London office call the lot from Leicester northern, silly plebs. Scotch corner up.... that's the north

Just out of interest, why is it that northerners are always worrying about where the south starts (or the north ends), whereas southerners never mention it?
:)

We are the North East and are pretty much as far as you can go before reaching Scotland but I suppose that also applies to Carlisle which I never think of as the "North" ?

Reminds me of when I used to live in Edinburgh - the number of hen parties wearing matching t-shirts that said “[name]’s Highland Fling 2008” was unbelievable. Edinburgh is nowhere near the Highlands!

Back