The new lads

Just to confirm we have brought in a 24yr old winger from Man City who is hugely talented and a 21yr old winger from Spurs who has also been highly rated everywhere he has played. Yet to see these lads step on the pitch. The romance of Defoe coming has completely overshadowed these two additions who will play a massive part in our promotion push, more so than Defoe would.
Get behind the lads in red and white

Complete guesswork mind, which overshadowed your otherwise entirely sensible post.

If Stewart misses time we're up against it
100 per cent correct well done.As we stand at the moment all of our attacking options have shown in their careers, to not have great scoring records.If Ross Stewart gets injured we are in the shit.We need cover for him and for JD to come back.

Calls for a big beast of a centre midfielder are understandable but every team looking to strengthen always seem to want the same thing.

Any big, strong, mobile midfielder who can win, control and pass the football to the required level will probably be in the championship at least.

In league one we’d probably get someone who’s bigger and stronger than Evans, Winchester or O’Nien but not as capable when it came to protecting the ball and passing it to a teammate.

I’d rather see another centre half of Batth’s standard come in.
I’ve got a feeling that the brick shit house CM type player who can also play is something that every club is searching for.
Just the like the house on the edge of a village close to local amenities but not too expensive.
Easy to identify the wish list- finding the item a bit like trying to find rocking horse shit.

I remember posting on here about the players Blackppol broought in in the January window on loan and how quality they were, they then went from being mid table to promoted.
Precisely this. Teams have ended up promoted after being in bottom half at this time of year. Everything is to play for!

I’m a bit concerned about the Defoe link. I love JD and of course would be happy if he gave us six months and then went onto be involved within the club coaching. I think that sentimental signings like JD and Leadbitter prevent the club maybe getting a younger player through the doors that can stay with the club for years and develop. Hopefully the recruitment team have something in the pipeline

It might be a twist or bust situation we find ourselves if we are going through another streaky period, by now all our opponents have done their homework and they press we cannot play out from the back/no water carrier to link up the back-midfield-forward and we continue with the same one dimensional tactic and scrape another draw with a mid-table team. JD might be a luxury and cost us a small fortune but he might just turn around a couple of games which get us over the finishing line.

I’ve got a feeling that the brick shit house CM type player who can also play is something that every club is searching for.
Just the like the house on the edge of a village close to local amenities but not too expensive.
Easy to identify the wish list- finding the item a bit like trying to find rocking horse shit.

Exactly. Every player can be improved upon but I'm happy with Neil, Evans and Winchester CM, (with O9 likely to be back before too long, and Embo and Pritchard able to play there at a pinch).

Can't see that a player as good as Evans/Winchester AND super-imposing physically will bye playing in this league. Evans wouldn't if he could stay fit.

It's cover for Stewart that's my main concern. And then a replacement for Hume as back up LB. Cirkin has had one stretch in the physio room already.

I’m not sure why people want a CM in so desperately, I know Evans struggles to stay fit but I’m a big fan of Winchester and think he can do that job very well if he’s not standing in as a makeshift right back.

It’s clear from the signings that LJ wants to get back to a 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-2-2 as soon as possible and I think we are well covered in midfield.

IMO Batth was the key signing to shore up our defence and give the 2 in front some cover.
I agree with the midfield. LJ always talks of players flexibility. When you think we have Evans, Neil, Winchester... Add to that Onein, Embleton .The key this window was to get cover in the natural positions those players have been filling in for in the past i'e RB & CH, and getting them fit allowing them to play in their natural positions. The only spanner in the works was an out of the blue concussion and a red card the following week.

We're fairly covered, with exception of a 6ft plus option, but i'm not sure he's all that fussed now we have a more dominant CH.

If we look at anyone it'll be a free transfer possibly looking at the season ahead, rather than this season. Someone like Marlon Pack, 6ft odd, experienced in this league and currently playing in the championship, ex regular starter for Johnson during his time at Bristol city, and out of contract in the summer.

I agree with the midfield. LJ always talks of players flexibility. When you think we have Evans, Neil, Winchester... Add to that Onein, Embleton .The key this window was to get cover in the natural positions those players have been filling in for in the past i'e RB & CH, and getting them fit allowing them to play in their natural positions. The only spanner in the works was an out of the blue concussion and a red card the following week.

We're fairly covered, with exception of a 6ft plus option, but i'm not sure he's all that fussed now we have a more dominant CH.

If we look at anyone it'll be a free transfer possibly looking at the season ahead, rather than this season. Someone like Marlon Pack, 6ft odd, experienced in this league and currently playing in the championship, ex regular starter for Johnson during his time at Bristol city, and out of contract in the summer.
Ye, I agree. I think he’s happy with his options, and like you say, without a bit of bad luck we would have been fine.

I have to confess I never know much about players not at our club but I’d be more than happy to see a big, athletic M’Villa type in there if we go up this year.

Back