The Moody Blues - any fans on here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheers, I'll definitely give that a watch over the weekend. Inherited a like of the moody blues from my mum who played them a lot when I was young. Really like the very early material, any tips for 1979 onwards that's worth a listen????

Not really a fan but saw them live at the Hollywood Bowl in about 1993 after my Aunt couldn’t go and me the tickets.
They were terrific that night tbf.

The album cover On The Threshold Of A Dream was in the quiz the other night, my prog fan mate got it.
Talking of prog, @GTG thought I've Seen All Good People by Yes was The Stray Cats:oops::lol:

Even odder, I wasn't the only one in our team!!

I did correct the others on the Moodies' album cover though!

Their albums from the late 60's to mid 70's starting with the collaboration with LSO are classics.

Go Now is not representative, same name but tbh a different band from classic Moodys

Did you know that there was no such orchestra and it was only a name dreamt up by Peter Knight for a collection of session musicians?

Even they knew they were shit
The Moody Blues had been a moderately successful group — everyone who has ever listened to an oldies radio station knows their version of ‘Go Now’, a No. 1 single in 1964 — but by 1966 they were on the skids. Their two most creative members had left, to be replaced by a new bassist and the 19-year-old singer-guitarist Justin Hayward. That night in Stockton, in a club where a version of the Playboy bunnies was a major attraction, the group donned their blue suits and went through their tired routine of R&B covers and comedy songs, earning the money for the repayments on their guitars and the cost of their petrol.

‘We really weren’t very good,’ Hayward recalls. ‘This chap came in the dressing room afterwards, and he said, “I just thought I’d tell you, you’re the worst f***ing band I’ve seen in my life. You’re rubbish. And somebody’s got to tell you.”’ Hayward burst into tears, joined by his bandmate Ray Thomas. An hour or two later, as the group passed Scotch Corner on their drive south down the A1, the drummer Graeme Edge piped up from the back of the van: ‘He’s right, that bloke. We’re crap.’

:lol:

It's not.

From Wiki -

"The London Symphony Orchestra (LSO), founded in 1904, is the oldest of London's symphony orchestras. It was set up by a group of players who left Henry Wood's Queen's Hall Orchestra because of a new rule requiring players to give the orchestra their exclusive services."

That's cos they didn't collaborate with the LSO. Days of Future Past was recorded with the 'London Festival Orchestra'... Which didn't exist

It's not.

From Wiki -

"The London Symphony Orchestra (LSO), founded in 1904, is the oldest of London's symphony orchestras. It was set up by a group of players who left Henry Wood's Queen's Hall Orchestra because of a new rule requiring players to give the orchestra their exclusive services."

Wrong 'orchestra'!

The orchestra credited on 'Days of Future Passed' was the London Festival Orchestra and my comments related to the musicians using that name.

Maybe I should have made that clearer.

Long Distance Voyager from 1981 is comparable to the classic first seven albums and is way better than its predecessor..the abysmal Octave.
Sadly I wouldn't bother with anything after that tbh.

I thought The Present was OK but agree it was a very rapid decline after that even though Wildest Dreams and I know you're out there were two of their biggest hit singles in the US. Think Children's Children's Children is my favourite album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back