The Mock Turtles - Two Sides album 1991

who was making virgin all this money at the time

my guess is it was just before Branson sold Virgin to EMI? - I know that by 1996 Branson set up V2 records because one of the clauses when he sold Virgin to EMI (in 1992?) to finance or set up Virgin Airways was that he had to stay away or out of music industry for 5 years.
So in days of Mock Turtles around 90/91 Virgin Records would have been the artists pre-EMI period... so Roxy Music springs to mind?... Simple Minds? Human League?... then they also would have made fair wack from any Virgin Publishing deals?

But if daventry cat worked for them he would know more about big earners?

Last edited:
actually slight correction on the part 'around 90/91 Virgin Records would have been the artists pre-EMI period... so Roxy Music springs to mind?...'

just checked my vinyl and Roxy Music albums were on Polydor Records, but also just noticed that they all had publishing through EG Records, and then all the Roxy Music compilation or Best of albums in the 80's were released through EG/Virgin or EG/Siren records... Bryan Ferry solo material similar story, so my guess is that EG and Virgin had some kind of publishing deal which meant all the compilation albums got released by them instead of Polydor?
also OMD deserves a mention as they sold fair few albums worldwide during the 80's on Virgin or Virgin imprints.

actually slight correction on the part 'around 90/91 Virgin Records would have been the artists pre-EMI period... so Roxy Music springs to mind?...'

just checked my vinyl and Roxy Music albums were on Polydor Records, but also just noticed that they all had publishing through EG Records, and then all the Roxy Music compilation or Best of albums in the 80's were released through EG/Virgin or EG/Siren records... Bryan Ferry solo material similar story, so my guess is that EG and Virgin had some kind of publishing deal which meant all the compilation albums got released by them instead of Polydor?
also OMD deserves a mention as they sold fair few albums worldwide during the 80's on Virgin or Virgin imprints.
Also had the likes of t'pau, culture club, belinda Carlisle, omd, Peter Gabriel, inner city and neneh cherry in the 80s. At one point soul ll soul had the No1 album 7" & 12" on both sides of the atlantic

Back