The "men's" Ashes

Heard it described on Radio 5 (hate 5ive) as this.

Now, I like calling out reactionary old thickies as much as anyone, but wasn't it "The Ashes" for 100+ years before there was a Women's equivalent (which there should be, for the hard of thinking)?

Just because you start a similar/equivalent series to an existing one, doesn't mean you can take the name (or force the original to change/amend their name) - why can't it be The Ashes and The women's Ashes?

Happy to be educated/told that I'm worse than Vaughan...

p.s. I'm ok for it to be England v Australia (men) and England v Australia (women) if that helps me not be a thickie...

Last edited:

Now, I like calling out reactionary old thickies as much as anyone, but wasn't it "The Ashes" for 100+ years before there was a Women's equivalent (which there should be, for the hard of thinking)?

Just because you start a similar/equivalent series to an existing one, doesn't mean you can take the name (or force the original to change/amend their name) - why can't it be The Ashes and The women's Ashes?

p.s. I'm ok for it to be England v Australia (men) and England v Australia (women) if that helps me not be a thickie...

I agree.

There's a pub in Shields now called the 'Old Ship', because there is another one called 'The New Ship'.

The old one was originally just called The Ship ....... why did it need to change ?

Technically the women don’t play for The Ashes in any case? It was the men involved in the burning of The Ashes which led to the naming of the series. I agree you can’t just amend the name to suit, if that makes me a thickie too then so be it.

I'd guess both men & women eng v aus is classified as the ashes, ergo you'd have the men's ashes and the women's ashes.

i see your point but honestly, i couldn't care less

I'll be supporting the lasses in the women's Ashes next year and it doesn't really bother me. I'll never refer to it as the Men's Ashes but at same time I wouldn't correct someone who did

Back