The longest day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Read a great kindle book last year which was an account of dday from a German soldier at each of the beaches attacked.

Absolutely fascinating to read, my favourite was the German who was at a position where British gliders had landed near and was attacked by commandos, basically they had the Germans barricaded inside a gun battery while they wreaked havoc outside.

God I must have watched this with my Dad about a 100 times as a nipper, very surprised they have never done a re make considering they remake every sodding film going , you only have to watch the first 20 minutes of saving private ryan to see how a reboot would do it justice, then again who would play Robert Mitcham and his “roll me up the hill son “ line at the end

God I must have watched this with my Dad about a 100 times as a nipper, very surprised they have never done a re make considering they remake every sodding film going , you only have to watch the first 20 minutes of saving private ryan to see how a reboot would do it justice, then again who would play Robert Mitcham and his “roll me up the hill son “ line at the end
Probably best not to do a remake , it would end up with a wanker like nicholas cage saving the day

Should make the French and Gormans watch the bastard
The French were a bit busy burning German tanks, blowing up railway bridges and killing German soldiers at the time, so yes they might enjoy it
My mother was busy doing that in April and May 1944, together with another eight girls in their group. Sadly some will never see it because they were caught and executed

Perhaps you might like to buy yourself a history book or two, and even read
them before coming out with further crass and wildly inaccurate tripe like that

See if you can find out why the SS Pantezer Division Das Reich never made it to Normandy on time to stop the landings and was at half strength when it finally did get there. Oh and then you will be able to tell us all how many hundreds of French corpses of Resistants and their families they left in their wake.

Comments like yours make me puke.

Read a great kindle book last year which was an account of dday from a German soldier at each of the beaches attacked.

Absolutely fascinating to read, my favourite was the German who was at a position where British gliders had landed near and was attacked by commandos, basically they had the Germans barricaded inside a gun battery while they wreaked havoc outside.
I read them too if they were the same ones. D-Day through German Eyes and another about the Pantzer retrea to the West at the end of the war, protecting civilians etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
The French were a bit busy burning German tanks, blowing up railway bridges and killing German soldiers at the time, so yes they might enjoy it
My mother was busy doing that in April and May 1944, together with another eight girls in their group. Sadly some will never see it because they were caught and executed

Perhaps you might like to buy yourself a history book or two, and even read
them before coming out with further crass and wildly inaccurate tripe like that

See if you can find out why the SS Pantezer Division Das Reich never made it to Normandy on time to stop the landings and was at half strength when it finally did get there. Oh and then you will be able to tell us all how many hundreds of French corpses of Resistants and their families they left in their wake.

Comments like yours make me puke.

I read them too if they were the same ones. D-Day through German Eyes and another about the Pantzer retrea to the West at the end of the war, protecting civilians etc.
Read lodes of books on D day and the one about Das reich and on the resistance Alison a few through german eyes sorry to upset you I should thought before I posted

Read lodes of books on D day and the one about Das reich and on the resistance Alison a few through german eyes sorry to upset you I should thought before I posted
Thanks for your gracious apology, it is gratefully accepted.

You might be interested in the journey of the Das Reich division from the Mediterranean near Marseilles up what is now the A20, through the Dordogne to Oradour-sur-Glane where they murdered all 640 villagers by shooting and burning and crucified at least one little baby.

The Resistance still pursued and fought them in spite of these horrors. Delayed their arrival in Normandie until 10th June thus saving a lot of lives. The village, near Limoges remains as it was on that day as a memorial. I have been. It is heart breaking

Thanks for your gracious apology, it is gratefully accepted.

You might be interested in the journey of the Das Reich division from the Mediterranean near Marseilles up what is now the A20, through the Dordogne to Oradour-sur-Glane where they murdered all 640 villagers by shooting and burning and crucified at least one little baby.

The Resistance still pursued and fought them in spite of these horrors. Delayed their arrival in Normandie until 10th June thus saving a lot of lives. The village, near Limoges remains as it was on that day as a memorial. I have been. It is heart breaking
Is that the book by Max Hastings it's an excellent read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back