The Leas - South Shields

Why put themselves in danger when there’s a purpose built cycle path right next to them? I’m a cyclist myself and always use the cycle paths when they’re available, it’s just common sense surely 🤷🏻‍♂️
I do also however they are allowed on the road. Tbh some of the cycle paths are in worse condition than the roads so I can understand why they’re using roads

Why put themselves in danger when there’s a purpose built cycle path right next to them? I’m a cyclist myself and always use the cycle paths when they’re available, it’s just common sense surely 🤷🏻‍♂️
depends on the path, 95% i'll use the path... northbound from roker i'll use the cycle path as far as the tram shelter then join the road just before the roundabout and continue to whitburn on the road... too many people walking like zombie's with their heads in phones up towards the stack, and then the path past the stack is in too bad a condition. was similar with the path at souter lighthouse before the road was moved & the path relaid in better condition. depending on how busy the path is at the leas (with zombie pedestrains) will make me choose between path\road down to shields front.

I've heard some cyclists who enter competitions say that the cycle lanes are no good for their training, they need to be on the road to train properly and at speed.
Although cycling on the road when there are millions of pounds worth of cycle lanes isn't exclusive to competition cyclists.
so parking remains, damn them pesky cyclists!
How much parking though, that remains to be seen.

Last edited:
Not sure hoying a strip of tarmac across a nice grassed area is a great idea although I guess cost would be an even bigger factor.

Depends really, depending on what's done. If it was done as a decent path can't see anyone really moaning about it. Pedestrians don't really want to walk along a road either really, could be popular especially if it linked up with the Promenade at South Shields.

The grass doesn't really do anything right now.

depends on the path, 95% i'll use the path... northbound from roker i'll use the cycle path as far as the tram shelter then join the road just before the roundabout and continue to whitburn on the road... too many people walking like zombie's with their heads in phones up towards the stack, and then the path past the stack is in too bad a condition. was similar with the path at souter lighthouse before the road was moved & the path relaid in better condition. depending on how busy the path is at the leas (with zombie pedestrains) will make me choose between path\road down to shields front.

THe cycle path past souter and into whitburn is more than a bit of a bone shaker. (no suspension on my bike).

Back