The Leas - South Shields

Personally don't get that one, there's a huge piece of grass 1m away to the East. You could literally create a nice cycle path further East going through the field which would actually be pleasant rather than forcing bikes along the side of a road.
I agree this isn’t the worst idea but it will come down to cost

The cycle path along there is crap and needs renewing but taking out all of that parking would be mental

Which ones?
The one at the waters edge, the one at the sandancer, the one at the sundial, the one at the dunes and I think there is one after the dunes as well from memory.
The sea front isn't the leas though is it
you’re stretching a point there if you are saying it’s not the seafront. What is it at the leas that isn’t the seafront that you need to go their and park so badly for?

Last edited:
you’re stretching a point there if you are saying it’s not the seafront. What is it at the leas that isn’t the seafront that you need to go their and park so badly for?

The massive open green space which is rammed in the summer ? the couple of enclosed bays you get to from the middle of the Leas ? a drink or meal in the bamburgh ?
Maybe having cyclists and pedestrians on the same pavement has proved dangerous?

Having cycled down there, pedestrians lack of awareness (and I mean adults here) is shocking, but it'll be more about £££

Grass :)

There is a canny stretch between trow rocks and marsden car parks, demonstrated by how many people use the spaces on the road currently.

The sundial, dunes and sand dancer are not really car parks for the leas.

The massive open green space which is rammed in the summer ? the couple of enclosed bays you get to from the middle of the Leas ? a drink or meal in the bamburgh ?

Having cycled down there, pedestrians lack of awareness (and I mean adults here) is shocking, but it'll be more about £££
Well if you’re out to enjoy the massive open green space that surely you can walk what 10 mins max to it. If you want a drink or a meal in the bamburgh again walk about 10, if that’s too much for you park in the streets to the front of the bamburgh.

Work is underway to improve walking and cycling routes along the South Tyneside coast.

The £2million scheme will see the existing footpath along the Coast Road (A183) widened to at least four metres to accommodate two lanes - one for pedestrians and one for cyclists.

Logon or register to see this image

The project is being delivered in three phases, starting with improvements on the stretch of the A183 at Marsden Bay and extending northwards towards Redwell Bank and along the Leas to the New Crown roundabout.

The route forms part of the National Cycle Network (NCN1)

As part of the plans to bring the route up to standard, the pedestrian and cycle lanes will be separated by a kerb, but at the same level as the adjoining surfaces.

On-street car parking facilities will remain with some repositioning.

Last edited:

Back