"The launch" planned artwork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ugly, would have been better designed with just steel and glass to reflect the modern buildings being built.

In isolation it hasn't excited me however I think it needs to be viewed as part of a long term approach. Redevelopment of the Vaux site and the riverside would make it a totally different proposition.
My main concern would be long term maintenance costs if it has large moving parts. Worst thing that could happen is that we can't afford to maintain it and it stops being what was intended.
I'm remaining open minded about it.

Reactions: mux
Looks like it's made out of Geomag :D

I can see their point in that redeveloping the river with a piece of artwork and landscaping will encourage people to use it more for leisure. I'm all for ecotherapy and getting people out into green spaces. Think it will end up looking an eyesore though and they could have come up with something that payed homage to ship building but blended in with the natural environment better.

It looks a bit daft like but regeneration of that area should be a priorty imo. It has been a wasteland for as long as I remember, when it could be really nice. Lots of grassland and the riverside so close to the city centre it should be an attraction.

Looks like it's made out of Geomag :D

I can see their point in that redeveloping the river with a piece of artwork and landscaping will encourage people to use it more for leisure. I'm all for ecotherapy and getting people out into green spaces. Think it will end up looking an eyesore though and they could have come up with something that payed homage to ship building but blended in with the natural environment better.

The top part looks like its based on the old cranes that used be along the river.

The other design that lost out was superb and really should have won, this one looks a bit ugly if i'm honest, may look better in person.

A viewing platform with steps and a lift to get people down to the riverside.

Well Done Sunderland Council

To view what? The local youth getting pissed on the sonic wheel. How was this monstrosity paid for? When the novelty wears off it'll be left to rot.

A council out of touch with its people. The majority in this city will look at that and think they're building another bridge

Where is it, what's the views of?
White lightening, Bella, frostys, and the historical yet not extinct, occasional can of LCL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back