The Lads 1960-61

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloke in the middle on the 2nd row looks about 50 and like he's just finished a shift at the shipyard
That is Ernie Taylor, he played for Newcastle then went to Manchester United, we stood back s that he could join them straight after the Munich air crash. He had been a good player but was finished when he signed for us. Th first team for most of that season was Peter Wakeham, Colin Nelson, Len Ashurst, Stan Anderson, Charlie Hurley, Jimmy McNab, Ambrose Fogarty, Ernie Taylor, Ian Lawther, Alan O Neill and Jackie Overfield.
The ones I recognise are:

Front row: 2nd right Nick Sharkey, Joe Kiernan (I think)
2nd row: 1st left Alan O Neill, Willie McPheat, Ernie Taylor, Stan Anderson,

3rd Row: 1st left Jimmy McNab, Tommy Micheson? 4th left Charlie Hurley, Peter Wakeham,

Back row 1st left Jimmy Montgomery, 3rd left Cecil Urwin, Ambrose Fogarty, Martin Harvey,
I recognise other but the names have fade.
ist game that season was Ipswich at Roker I think the score was 2-0 0r 2-1, next was Stoke City at Roker score 4-1 Taylor missed a penalty. Harry Hooper signed from Birmingham City that season, Fogarty moved to inside right and Taylor dropped out. O Neill was sold to Aston Villa and Willie Mcpheat replaced him. Ian Lawther was top scorer with 24 goals.

Last edited:
That is Ernie Taylor, he played for Newcastle then went to Manchester United, we stood back s that he could join them straight after the Munich air crash. He had been a good player but was finished when he signed for us. Th first team for most of that season was Peter Wakeham, Colin Nelson, Len Ashurst, Stan Anderson, Charlie Hurley, Jimmy McNab, Ambrose Fogarty, Ernie Taylor, Ian Lawther, Alan O Neill and Jackie Overfield.
The ones I recognise are:

Front row: 2nd right Nick Sharkey, Joe Kiernan (I think)
2nd row: 1st left Alan O Neill, Willie McPheat, Ernie Taylor, Stan Anderson,

3rd Row: 1st left Jimmy McNab, Tommy Micheson? 4th left Charlie Hurley, Peter Wakeham,

Back row 1st left Jimmy Montgomery, 3rd left Cecil Urwin, Ambrose Fogarty, Martin Harvey,
I recognise other but the names have fade.
I wondered if that was Cec - must have been a crown topper...

Back row – Montgomery, Murray, Richardson, Fogarty, Harvey, J O’Neill, Smith, Jones, Goodchild
Third row – Jones, Wright, McNab, Lawther, Pearce, Hurley, Wakeham, Wardle, Hird, Curtis
Second row – Watters, A O’Neill, McPheat, Taylor, Anderson, Topley, Maltby, Scott
Front row – Lewis, Potter, Borne, Dillon, Sharkey, Kiernan

There you go, just for those young uns who don"t know ;)

Back row – Montgomery, Murray, Richardson, Fogarty, Harvey, J O’Neill, Smith, Jones, Goodchild
Third row – Jones, Wright, McNab, Lawther, Pearce, Hurley, Wakeham, Wardle, Hird, Curtis
Second row – Watters, A O’Neill, McPheat, Taylor, Anderson, Topley, Maltby, Scott

Also known as big Geoff in our house

Bloke in the middle on the 2nd row looks about 50 and like he's just finished a shift at the shipyard

That's Ernie Taylor, England international, ex-Newcastle in his mid-thirties. Great little footballer, only 5-ft 3/4 but very skillful. Stan Anderson his on his left and Willie McPheat - famous for his equaliizer in the most exciting game I ever saw at Roker Park - the 1961 ''Danny Blanchflower' game: Martin Harvey 5th from left, back row: Nick Sharkey 5th from left front row: Jimmy McNab 1st player 2nd row from back next to Arthur Wright - ex-player and then trainer; and,of course Charlie is instantly recognnizable.

Quite a few of those names have come back to me, goodness knows how deep they were buried in my brain. Johnny Goodchild played one game that season against Leeds away (I think) and he scored a hat trick, he was sold soon afterwards to a lower league side. John Dillon played left wing in the FA Cup 6th round game with Tottenham 1-1 draw McPheat for us and Cliff Jones for them. I never heard a roar as loud as that before or since when we equalised.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back