The greatest live tour ever

None.

why would anyone think something is the best? :lol:
Because thats the way it is in most peoples opinion. I have chosen a Madonna tour, but given the success of it anyone might have thought that the tour she did next ( ie the Girly tour ) would be better than the Blonde Ambition tour……but it wasnt . Yes it was similar but the execution and the set list just wasnt as good.
You could say the same for a number of bands / artists. Many say that Prince Sign of the Times tour was his best, others the Purple Rain tour……its all about opinions…..Ive just given mine and have asked the SMB members for theirs . Its a discussion forum

Coldplay put on an amazing performance
My ex bro in law was in a decent band and was usually critical of live gigs as a rule but saw him recently and said although not a fan Coldplay were another level .
Because thats the way it is in most peoples opinion. I have chosen a Madonna tour, but given the success of it anyone might have thought that the tour she did next ( ie the Girly tour ) would be better than the Blonde Ambition tour……but it wasnt . Yes it was similar but the execution and the set list just wasnt as good.
You could say the same for a number of bands / artists. Many say that Prince Sign of the Times tour was his best, others the Purple Rain tour……its all about opinions…..Ive just given mine and have asked the SMB members for theirs . Its a discussion forum
Ahhh Purple Rain one of my least fav Prince tracks , just find it a hard listen that one song .

Last edited:
It’s not the best. Go and watch loads of more bands man

It’s not the best. Go and watch loads of more bands man
Mate with all due respect ive seen loads of gigs big and small. Kiss set a benchmark in the 70s for gigs in terms of theatre and pyro…..no one came close to matching it until Rammstein and to a lesser extent Slipknot in the 2000s.
Springsteen set the standard for huge set lists in the late 70s early 80s it is only recently others have come close to matching him ( eg Taylor Swift on her current Eras tour ).
If you dont want to answer the question, fair enough…. but give an example of what you consider to be better if the “the best”
Some say Kate Bush’s tours / shows early in her career paved the way for Madonna…..to a degree they are correct…. Its all about opinions

Last edited:
Even though it all went shit and not many came, I loved this onehttps://myvintagerock.com/2013/09/24/ronnie-lane-passing-show-newcastle-town-moor-july-1974/
God bless ya Ronnie

Mate with all due respect ive seen loads of gigs big and small. Kiss set a benchmark in the 70s for gigs in terms of theatre and pyro…..no one came close to matching it until Rammstein and to a lesser extent Slipknot in the 2000s.
Springsteen set the standard for huge set lists in the late 70s early 80s it is only recently others have come close to matching him ( eg Taylor Swift on her current Eras tour ).
If you dont want to answer the question, fair enough…. but give an example of what you consider to be better if the “the best”
Some say Kate Bush’s tours / shows early in her career paved the way for Madonna…..to a degree they are correct…. Its all about opinions
I know mate

im pleased you enjoyed it.

So who is your pick and were you there to see it.?
I didnt see this tour live but there is no question in my mind that this Madonna tour totally changed the ball game in terms of live “performance” particularly for female pop acts.
No digital screens , very few vocal overdubs ….if you havnt seen this ….enjoy

Its a big spectacular show if you like that sort of thing to go with her cheesy pop but it is obvious that she is miming in many of those dance numbers. That is cheating in my book from a musicality perspective.

Revolutionised the industry.

How The West Was Won, with a setlist (almost) born in Sunderland....https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/led-zeppelin/1971/locarno-ballroom-sunderland-england-6bdfa6aa.html
Saw them at Knebworth but the sheer power had gone by then IMHO.

Led Zep MSG early 70s would have been my Nirvana.

Hawkwind - A Space Ritual Tour 1972/3 - Sunderland Locarno

No fancy production but volume levels capable of peeling wallpaper, dancers with tits and muffs out, unending strobe lights which after one hour was enough to make you doubt your own presence and sanity and a million incense sticks wafting enough sandalwood smoke to set off the Roker Fog horn in admiration.

RIP Lemmy
I see this has been released on the 50th anniversary boxset, Previously it was only from Liverpool and London

Unless you have seen every tour ever, it's impossible to pick a "best ever". ;)

However I would think Queen with the 1986 Magic tour (Freddies last) would take some beating.

Back