The Great American Buffalo

Ken Burns has outdone himself again.

Tremendous documentary on Iplayer for anyone interested. About the American Bison and how it’s decimation paved the way for the end of the Native American way of life.

Hard to believe that at the end of the 18th century there were 60 million of them roaming the Great Plains and less than a century later there were fewer than 600 left.
What’s it on?

I went to see a Dodo skeleton a few weeks ago,imagine being able to see a live one.Those passenger pigeons the sky was supposed to have darkened when a flock flew over.
And imagine being able to see a real live thylacine.
I’ve seen a stuffed Dodo and what struck me was just how big they were. About 3 foot tall. I always imagined them to be the size of a chicken for some reason.

was that Lamar valley area ? loads there, can get close to them( in the car ) , can turn on a sixpence
Sorry, I don't know. As I said, we were stopped in the car while the buffalo were moving across the road. We wound down the windows to get a better look and one just ambled by, so close that I could have touched it. They seemed to be used to cars and not bothered by them.

I went to see a Dodo skeleton a few weeks ago,imagine being able to see a live one.Those passenger pigeons the sky was supposed to have darkened when a flock flew over.
And imagine being able to see a real live thylacine.
Possibility they are still around according to some, but the evidence is sketchy and relies on a lot of maybes. I'm pretty sceptical if I'm honest even though I want to believe.

Wasn't there a possible sighting or something quite recently turned out to be a load of shite though?

Sorry, I don't know. As I said, we were stopped in the car while the buffalo were moving across the road. We wound down the windows to get a better look and one just ambled by, so close that I could have touched it. They seemed to be used to cars and not bothered by them.
One of the buggers charged us a few years back. At Elk Island Park near Edmonton.

Big critters they are.

Make a good centre forward if we could find a shirt that fit. (Is there any rule players got to be human?...maybe a loophole)

One of the buggers charged us a few years back. At Elk Island Park near Edmonton.

Big critters they are.

Make a good centre forward if we could find a shirt that fit. (Is there any rule players got to be human?...maybe a loophole)
Definitely not - remember Billy Whitehurst and Micky Droy?

Last edited:

Back