The Floodlit Test

brandon

Striker
I’m jumping the gun a bit here and I’m aware too that it’s sort of taking the debate away from the series thread but I didn’t want this to get lost in amongst another general discussion.

I’m somewhat baffled by how England seem to be putting their eggs in one basket for the Third Test. Jimmy being ‘protected’ for it is the clear and obvious ploy here but as far as my memory serves, his record AND England’s for that matter is pretty poor in floodlit Tests.......

That’s what’s got me puzzled.

I’m taking it as if England feel that suddenly Jimmy will bowl as if he’s playing at CLS in April and that the ball will hoop around all over for our seamers.

I support the idea of rotation in order to keep the quicks fresh, it’s what Australia did with a fair amount of success last Ashes series IIRC to be fair to them but I’m also torn with the idea that the most important game for any team in any situation is the one you’re about to play......

Has anyone got some expertise on how floodlit Tests in India will go?

Is this where they use the pink ball? He did bowl an excellent spell in Australia in the day/night test. Can’t remember us playing many more if I’m honest

Don't know how it will go but I will certainly watch it...cricket under floodlights is enjoyable to watch... As it is in daylight.. Just love my cricket... But won't bother with the 100.. That just seems like a corporate money making machine...

How many floodlit Test's have we played in ?

I can remember two and we won one of those comfortably. The other we lost in Adelaide ....nowt new there.

The selection policy, from the outset, seemed to be Anderson for one game and then Broad for the next.

Are you not overthinking this ?

Last edited:
I was at the floodlit test in Auckland in 2018 where the pink ball was used. We were all out for 58 and it hadn’t got dark!
We ended up getting beat by an innings, so Anderson only bowled once, him and Broad took three wickets a piece (if I remember correctly Broad performed better on that day).

I’m jumping the gun a bit here and I’m aware too that it’s sort of taking the debate away from the series thread but I didn’t want this to get lost in amongst another general discussion.

I’m somewhat baffled by how England seem to be putting their eggs in one basket for the Third Test. Jimmy being ‘protected’ for it is the clear and obvious ploy here but as far as my memory serves, his record AND England’s for that matter is pretty poor in floodlit Tests.......

That’s what’s got me puzzled.

I’m taking it as if England feel that suddenly Jimmy will bowl as if he’s playing at CLS in April and that the ball will hoop around all over for our seamers.

I support the idea of rotation in order to keep the quicks fresh, it’s what Australia did with a fair amount of success last Ashes series IIRC to be fair to them but I’m also torn with the idea that the most important game for any team in any situation is the one you’re about to play......

Has anyone got some expertise on how floodlit Tests in India will go?

They didn't rotate Cummins mate

Its crackers

Imagine if we won this test and then had the chance to play him against in the day nighter

How many floodlit Test's have we played in ?

I can remember two and we won one of those comfortably. The other we lost in Adelaide ....nowt new there.

The selection policy, from the outset, seemed to be Anderson for one game and then Broad for the next.

Are you not overthinking this ?

I absolutely could be, I just can’t remember us having done so remarkably well in them that we’d pick a team for a Floodlit Test and manoeuvre the team throughout the rest of the series so that we’ve got the side we want for that one. Which it seems to suggest we may be going off the very strange decisions they’ve made regarding selection this past week.

Last edited:
I absolutely could be, I just can’t remember us having done so remarkably well in them that we’d pick a team for a Floodlit Test and manoeuvre the team throughout the rest of the series so that we’ve got the side we want for that one. Which it seems to suggest we may be going off the very strange decisions they’ve made regarding selection this past week.

I think we've won the only home day/nighter and lost both away ones iirc, so there isn't much to go on.

It will be interesting to see how wet the ball gets in the evening dew (or is that just in Pakistan).

I think the only contentious decison surrounds Anderson, I would have thought - should he be picked purely on form or 'managed'.

At least they've stuck to their plan and not been swayed by his match winning performance last week. It must have been tempting to leave him in the side.

Time will tell

I think we've won the only home day/nighter and lost both away ones iirc, so there isn't much to go on.

It will be interesting to see how wet the ball gets in the evening dew (or is that just in Pakistan).

I think the only contentious decison surrounds Anderson, I would have thought - should he be picked purely on form or 'managed'.

At least they've stuck to their plan and not been swayed by his match winning performance last week. It must have been tempting to leave him in the side.

Time will tell

Aye, it’s a fair point and I do agree with the bit in bold to some extent, time will tell indeed and I hope he has it swinging round corners and the stumps are flying to all parts as we skittle the bastards twice :lol:

I may be going more fuddy duddy but I don’t think day/night tests are the future. Especially in England.
They have a place imo but England certainly isn’t it
last one in India drew a capacity crowd on at least two of the days iirc and more than would be expected during the day on the other days

Last edited:

Back