The Fast Show

That was Harry Enfield

It had its moments. First time I watched it I smiled a bit. But soon tired of it. Never really got why its was so popular.
Think it was popular because there were so many comedians involved, with their vastly different characters.
Liked the Caroline Ahearne characters (supermarket checkout girl, Renee & Roy).
Paul Whitehouse had a few good un's as well (Unlucky Alf, Hardest Job in the World, the 2 Tailors).
Obviously, some of the characters and sketches weren't all great ("Ain't Milk Brilliant" character soon wore off), but it was better than most Sketch Shows, because it was punchy and a bit different from the old TV comedy shows...

One of my favourites from Swiss Toni:

"Well, hanging wallpaper is also very much like making love to a beautiful woman. Clean all the relevant surfaces, spread her out on the table, cover her with paste, and stick her up. Then you clean your brush, light your pipe, stand back and admire your handiwork."

Think it was popular because there were so many comedians involved, with their vastly different characters.
Liked the Caroline Ahearne characters (supermarket checkout girl, Renee & Roy).
Paul Whitehouse had a few good un's as well (Unlucky Alf, Hardest Job in the World, the 2 Tailors).
Obviously, some of the characters and sketches weren't all great ("Ain't Milk Brilliant" character soon wore off), but it was better than most Sketch Shows, because it was punchy and a bit different from the old TV comedy shows...

Problem is it was the same sketches and same catchphrase over and over again. Maybe it's me, but "this week I've been mostly...." ceased being funny or née after the first two times I saw it

Back