The FA cup

I’me old school but used to like them going to a 3rd game, remember Man U 1964 and Leeds 1967, neither ended well but got the adrenalin going.
Back then it was all done for money as crowds for FA Cup games exceeded league games. These days the money isn't a great for the 'big' clubs and it's become a hindrance.

Look at out FA Cup attendances in the 1973 season. There was 33k in the 3rd round yet just 22k the week before in a league game (that was our league average). There was 51k against Man City in a 4th round replay and we got 53k in round 6. The gate receipts used to be shared back then so the FA Cup brought in extra cash than most league games. Though one thing to consider is that in the past some people went to both our and the mags games just to watch football adding to crowd numbers, whereas now people don't really do that.

Good to see a lot of clubs coming out and condemning this. It would be nice to see SAFC joining them. Replays are great for fans, great for small clubs, great for excitement. Big clubs have got big enough squads to cope.

They hate Replays but don’t mind two legged midweek games and flights to Italy, Turkey. If they’re so worried, campaign to make European Comps smaller with one leg games. Of course they won’t though. We all know what the game is.

Roll on the Super League.

Pathetic response that. As I said earlier I feel a boycott is only option now. Not sure most teams will have the arse for it though.
So at the very least the new announcement admits the original one was poor. Having to explain it again isn't a good look.
Mind you if that was all that was wrong here it wouldn't be so bad. A boycott would be great but it won't happen

Last edited:
Spoke brilliantly.
Back then it was all done for money as crowds for FA Cup games exceeded league games. These days the money isn't a great for the 'big' clubs and it's become a hindrance.

Look at out FA Cup attendances in the 1973 season. There was 33k in the 3rd round yet just 22k the week before in a league game (that was our league average). There was 51k against Man City in a 4th round replay and we got 53k in round 6. The gate receipts used to be shared back then so the FA Cup brought in extra cash than most league games. Though one thing to consider is that in the past some people went to both our and the mags games just to watch football adding to crowd numbers, whereas now people don't really do that.

I think our young uns cant believe fa cup games were generally better attended than league. And managers would prioritise them. Treat like a bastard reserve fixture now.

Last edited:
They see themselves as future premier league clubs.
No rocking the boat.
Completely agree that the Championship clubs should lead a boycott of the FA Cup.
But, would it change a decision that involved no consultation with the EFL clubs ?
The EFL clubs appear to have no power anymore ?
Would not suprise me if the Premier League didn't organise a League 2 version ?
This would completely kill the EFL as this would mean a "Top 44" with their enlarged and separate revenue (e.g. overseas TV rights), potentially forming their own Cup competition ?
Perhaps that's what the Championship bigger clubs are waiting for ?

I agree with this, I also struggle to believe they are that lucrative in the grand scheme of things

It's not about making the cash at the games. Those clubs go for the longterm effect, building up their fanbase. They may only get 25K attend a game but selling 50,000 shirts each season will pay dividends ultimately.
They see themselves as future premier league clubs.
No rocking the boat.

I think it's hard for Coventry to dissent at this moment. We're still in the competition. But when we're either knocked out or win it, that's when the club will say something.

Last edited:
I wish the big clubs would just fuck off like they've been threatening for years. Go and have your European super league, see how many people attend.

It would be great to get back to more equal football league system.

Their board has 4 PL reps (1 league of 20 teams) yet the EFL (3 leagues and 72 teams) have the same number of reps - shocking that :eek:
They’re claiming the 4 EFL members agreed to it.

Steve Kavanagh from Millwall is on that board.

He says no such discussions have ever taken place and he says the idea is a joke.
I get the feeling no clubs in our league have came out against it because they’re in favour. I honestly hate football at times.
Millwall have and said it’s a shite idea.

Back