The FA cup

Ruining the game, just less games for the top teams, but they want as many Europe games as they can get. Are you stupid? ££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££
Or alternatively lower league teams wanting as many games against premier league teams cos it's all about the ££££££££££££££££ are you stupid?

Or alternatively lower league teams wanting as many games against premier league teams cos it's all about the ££££££££££££££££ are you stupid?
What about the lower league teams young fans who will never get a chance to see prem teams appear at their grounds unless they get a draw away from home. Or they get a replay after home game and the lower league fans get a chance to go to Anfield etc.

Would I like to see it implode, yes but sadly that will be at the consequence of a club who may go into administration or other...its coming one day as its unsustainable and the fans will suffer as a result
It's happening as clubs like Everton, Forest and Leicester throw most of their revenue at players, yet clubs increase match day tickets in some way to milk those with the money and fuck those who would go through the good and bad times. Forest abolishing the U22 concession and increasing younger kids tickets. Some young 'uns and parents with kids won't go now but Forest know there's an adult paying full whack to take their place meaning a lot more revenue.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm absolutely fine with replays going. Realistically a lot of fans don't bother with the cup games and I think knowing that the match you're attending will actually have a winner on the day might help a little bit. Equally you often see small clubs battle well at home, get a draw, and then inevitably get hammered by the bigger club when they have to go away. Admittedly I'm sure the revenue is huge for them, but from a footballing perspective I like seeing shock results and I reckon there'll be more of them if those games are played to a finish. There's fewer examples of a small team drawing away and then winning the return. Glad the games will be on a weekend. Can fully understand traditionalists not agreeing mind. I'm normally one of them, but this isn't a change that I'm particularly annoyed about.

I'd argue that fans don't bother with cup games because the cup has been systematically diminished in stature and importance such that it doesn't carry as much interest anymore.

Another example of how the English game no longer belongs to the communities which built the clubs. One thing I massively disagree with Ange Postecoglu about when he was asked about plastic fans.

Last edited:
We absolutely should make a similar statement ,as one of the biggest ( if not THE biggest) clubs in the EFL we should be condemning this move

I'd be surprised if we do though
We've got owners from a generation that know nothing of the history and traditions so probably don't understand the fuss over the announcement. Had it happened 25 years ago a Bob Murray/Peter Reid combination probably would speak out.

Similarly, I imagine older fans, including me, are those reacting less favourably to the changes

Another nail in the coffin of the FA Cup and English football. All the changes are killing the game, and all the changes are made to favour the elite clubs, whether that be VAR, abolition of replays, ending of Cup Winners Cup, group formats, amount of subs, transfer windows etc etc

If 1979 was a defining moment in UK politics, then 1992 was in English football. I can't believe its so popular to be honest, the new opium of the masses I suppose, but in a nutshell, football has become boring.

Not right is it.
Surely you missed the point that the premier league teams decided this without any consultation of anyone else. Not one team below that level were consulted nor even warned that this was going to happen.

This.

What has happened to the FA Cup?

It used to be such a big deal from the early stages to the anticipation of the 3rd round draw. The thrill of giant killing teams and magical cup runs and the rare chance of glory at Wembley.

The run up to the Cup Final itself built the tension then Cup Final Day itself was amazing. Flicking between the coverage on BBC1 and ITV in the morning and early afternoon then settling down to watch the match and afterwards heading straight out to the filed with your mates and a ball and relive those moments in the match again.

That has all gone now. The heart and soul ripped out by corporate greed, destroyed by the ever increasing demand for money.

Back