The FA cup

Replays removed to make way for the new Champions League format

The Champions League was the beginning of the end for the FA Cup, and the riches associated with staying in the Prem just made it worse.

Once teams were more bothered about league position than a good cup run, it was on a slippery slope.

The Champions League was the beginning of the end for the FA Cup, and the riches associated with staying in the Prem just made it worse.

Once teams were more bothered about league position than a good cup run, it was on a slippery slope.

Last edited:

Totally agree marra

When I was young the excitement of listening to the cup draw on the radio was unreal. There was a magic about the f a cup. Remember in 1992 standing with my dad with tears in my eyes saying we've made it to Wembley .Then they ruined the whole concept by playing semi-finals at Wembley which to me was sacrilege. Now this with no thought for the little teams who dream of playing at one of the big stadiums. At in Var and the no thought for supporters with stupid kick off times that's why I hate modern day football - rant over 😆

Some updates are beneficial to the game in general, like the ones you mentioned👍. Scrapping replays has been done to benefit the top 6 only and nobody else.

Why not scrap the 2nd half while they are on and toss a coin if it's all square at half time?

This website is knackered. Your reply, as well as mine above, is duplicated umpteen times. 😕

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm absolutely fine with replays going. Realistically a lot of fans don't bother with the cup games and I think knowing that the match you're attending will actually have a winner on the day might help a little bit. Equally you often see small clubs battle well at home, get a draw, and then inevitably get hammered by the bigger club when they have to go away. Admittedly I'm sure the revenue is huge for them, but from a footballing perspective I like seeing shock results and I reckon there'll be more of them if those games are played to a finish. There's fewer examples of a small team drawing away and then winning the return. Glad the games will be on a weekend. Can fully understand traditionalists not agreeing mind. I'm normally one of them, but this isn't a change that I'm particularly annoyed about.
The FA Cup has diminished as an aspiration for the big clubs. Replays just hurt the little clubs other than the obvious financial paydays. Just get the games done on the day.

No one wants to be travelling to Crewe on a Tuesday night in the freezing cold to see a reply.

All rounds to be played on weekends from next season, but they are getting rid of replays from round 1!
The FA Cup romance was lost years ago just look at the line ups big squads start. More interested in PL money and Champions league money…..I am sorry don’t like it but reality is no replays is just the next step to reduce the number of clubs in England….

Last edited:

Back