The FA cup

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm absolutely fine with replays going. Realistically a lot of fans don't bother with the cup games and I think knowing that the match you're attending will actually have a winner on the day might help a little bit. Equally you often see small clubs battle well at home, get a draw, and then inevitably get hammered by the bigger club when they have to go away. Admittedly I'm sure the revenue is huge for them, but from a footballing perspective I like seeing shock results and I reckon there'll be more of them if those games are played to a finish. There's fewer examples of a small team drawing away and then winning the return. Glad the games will be on a weekend. Can fully understand traditionalists not agreeing mind. I'm normally one of them, but this isn't a change that I'm particularly annoyed about.
We would not have had that glorious night when we beat Man City in 73

All rounds to be back on weekends including round 4 which will be played Friday - Wednesday to give fans consecutive days of football to watch.

So it’s not all on a weekend then. You’re going to have match going fans of some clubs playing a Tuesday / Wednesday night at the back end of January just so the armchairs can watch.

All rounds to be back on weekends including round 4 which will be played Friday - Wednesday to give fans consecutive days of football to watch.

So it’s not all on a weekend then. You’re going to have match going fans of some clubs playing a Tuesday / Wednesday night at the back end of January just so the armchairs can watch.
The shit about some of the rounds being exclusive from the Premier League too. Sure only the quarters isn’t normally?

This.
Tbf the lower sides probably wouldn't want it, in many cases they'd want the revenue from the trip to old Trafford or wherever (and some of the players would want the chance to play there, a lot of the fans would also be buzzing about the trip much more than a home tie tbh). It's not the way things should be football-wise, but they know they'd likely lose at home anyway and the revenue could set some of them up for years so I'd keep the draw as it is where it's either the trip away and the revenue, or the slightly better chance of an upset

Which is where possible replays come in. Get drawn at home, draw the match and then have the day out/payday at Old Trafford or similar.

Last edited:
This.

Which is where possible replays come in. Get drawn at home, draw the match and then have the day out/payday at Old Trafford or similar.
But again that's just wanting to keep replays for financial reasons. I get that it's small clubs who could do with the money, but most people complain that football is all about money now and that the main consideration should be the sport. So wanting replays which lower the chances of memorable shock results so that a small team can get more money from man united and get walloped 5-0 doesn't seem in line with that. For me the small team now either gets the home game (likely with a full crowd and tv money, so still a decent pay day for them) and a chance of a once in a lifetime result for the club, or they get the away game with the experience and revenue, and which one they get is luck of the draw which is fair enough in a cup competition

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm absolutely fine with replays going. Realistically a lot of fans don't bother with the cup games and I think knowing that the match you're attending will actually have a winner on the day might help a little bit. Equally you often see small clubs battle well at home, get a draw, and then inevitably get hammered by the bigger club when they have to go away. Admittedly I'm sure the revenue is huge for them, but from a footballing perspective I like seeing shock results and I reckon there'll be more of them if those games are played to a finish. There's fewer examples of a small team drawing away and then winning the return. Glad the games will be on a weekend. Can fully understand traditionalists not agreeing mind. I'm normally one of them, but this isn't a change that I'm particularly annoyed about.
A lot of people stopped going to cup games due to it being devalued. This is just another step in that direction.

A lot of people stopped going to cup games due to it being devalued. This is just another step in that direction.
The first sentence is bang on, the devaluing of the cup has definitely contributed to lower attendances. I'd also argue that season tickets have become more prevalent over the years and that, partly, has led to people being less keen to spend on top of that during the season. Whether this further devalues it I'm not so sure though. Can only speak for myself, but if we get a boring draw like Watford at home next season I'd be more keen to attend if I at least knew I was going to see a winner. Nowt worse than spending the £20 or whatever and going along to a cup game just to see a draw and having to do it all again later. But that might just be me (I still attend regardless tbh, but I feel I'd be more keen to go with a guaranteed winner)

Exactly, for those of us who were there probably the best match we saw at Roker Park.

As for the smaller clubs having a better chance if it's decided on the day never forget Hereford United drew at Newcastle and beat them in the replay at Edgar Street, a double humiliation for that lot!

Back