The FA cup

Glad they’re back on weekends. Still don’t agree with them doing away with replays mind
I'm probably in the minority here but I'm absolutely fine with replays going. Realistically a lot of fans don't bother with the cup games and I think knowing that the match you're attending will actually have a winner on the day might help a little bit. Equally you often see small clubs battle well at home, get a draw, and then inevitably get hammered by the bigger club when they have to go away. Admittedly I'm sure the revenue is huge for them, but from a footballing perspective I like seeing shock results and I reckon there'll be more of them if those games are played to a finish. There's fewer examples of a small team drawing away and then winning the return. Glad the games will be on a weekend. Can fully understand traditionalists not agreeing mind. I'm normally one of them, but this isn't a change that I'm particularly annoyed about.

I suppose it might give smaller clubs a better chance by finishing it in one day - on average the bigger teams are going to beat the smaller given more chances, BUT let's not kid ourselves this is being done out of any sort of benevolence towards the smaller clubs - it's a response to the big clubs not wanting to play as often.

If doing away with replays they should make a rule that if a league 1 or lower team gets drawn to play against a prem or championship side they should get the home tie
Tbf the lower sides probably wouldn't want it, in many cases they'd want the revenue from the trip to old Trafford or wherever (and some of the players would want the chance to play there, a lot of the fans would also be buzzing about the trip much more than a home tie tbh). It's not the way things should be football-wise, but they know they'd likely lose at home anyway and the revenue could set some of them up for years so I'd keep the draw as it is where it's either the trip away and the revenue, or the slightly better chance of an upset

Scrapping replays is good Imo, The lower league clubs have a better chance of winning it on the night rather than a replay where they’d get tanked. But mostly the replays are usually 2 mid table PL sides

All about what works for those at the tip of the premier league. No-one else
Scrapping replays is good Imo, The lower league clubs have a better chance of winning it on the night rather than a replay where they’d get tanked. But mostly the replays are usually 2 mid table PL sides
Getting through is less financially beneficial to lower league clubs than a decent away tie. A lot of lower league teams would prefer that as they no winning the competition is nigh on impossible so may aswell get a good pay day out of it. If anything I would have scrapped them from 1st to 3rd and kept them from the 4th round

Last edited:
All rounds to be played on weekends from next season, but they are getting rid of replays from round 1!
Yep. Money talking again. Please they're going back to weekends but disagree with no replays.

I loved seeing non league clubs drawing at home and earning a replay at bigger clubs/grounds. Not to mention the financial benefits that were is store from gate receipts. Sometimes kept them going for a few season alone.

The magic is just about gone thanks to these hungry bastards.

"The new schedule ensures the magic of the Cup is protected and enhanced, while working for the whole of the English game. The longer summer period also allows a much-needed player break before the start of the next season.”

While the top Premier League sides all squeeze in extra friendlies abroad in the summer to rake in even more dosh.

Another nail in the coffin of the FA Cup, small teams can make fortunes from replays
See that's where I probably disagree. I don't think it's a nail in the coffin because small teams might lose a (very infrequent) chance to get more revenue. The revenue is huge for clubs but the main thing should be the football and this change will likely mean more shocks. Always hate when a small team does brilliantly at home, goes ahead, concedes a late equaliser and you just know they're going to get pasted in the replay. I'll enjoy seeing those games go to extra time and possible penalties. I don't like the way football is all about money nowadays so I can't really complain about this one, even if we know the change hasn't been made for the purpose of generating more shock results!

"The new schedule ensures the magic of the Cup is protected and enhanced, while working for the whole of the English game. The longer summer period also allows a much-needed player break before the start of the next season.”

While the top Premier League sides all squeeze in extra friendlies abroad in the summer to rake in even more dosh.
"Whilst we put it behind the £30pm paywall of TNT Sports"

Back