The Elizabeth Line (Crossrail)

Jumped on it today to cut a massive 7 minutes off the trek from Paddington to Liverpool St and back.

Worth every penny of the investment into levelling up the country you norvaan LLLLs voted for.

Had enough time to down a last glass of Calabrian red before nicking off home tonight. Cheers lads.

Tories. Looking after Life Long Labour Lads since time immemorial. (And yes I know the plans predate even the coalition (

A very astute observation :lol: Was it the lack of closing parentheses that gave it away?
More not knowing what you were on about. :lol:
While the subject of trains is up, has anybody travelled from the NE to kings cross in recent years?
I need to book tickets and can either go from Durham or from Sunderland. I'm wondering what the trains are like that grand Central use on the Sunderland route and are they reliable? I know LNER use Azuma trains which are fairly new on the Newcastle to London run. So I'd imagine they are pretty reliable. Any opinions most welcome.

While the subject of trains is up, has anybody travelled from the NE to kings cross in recent years?
I need to book tickets and can either go from Durham or from Sunderland. I'm wondering what the trains are like that grand Central use on the Sunderland route and are they reliable? I know LNER use Azuma trains which are fairly new on the Newcastle to London run. So I'd imagine they are pretty reliable. Any opinions most welcome.
I don’t think you’ll find anyone on here whose travelled to KX lately. Hardy anyone at all.

Love GC, far friendlier staff, trains dated but constantly upgrading n clean enough.
Only about 4 go down/up a day so not load of options. Try n book 2 singles.
If not return is about £140 which is about £60 less than durham line generally.

Grand Central run 5 trains there and back Monday to Saturday, 4 on a Sunday. As reliable as any other service, friendlier staff, clean carriages, bogs are dated but fine. Good choice at the buffet car. Service to increase to 6 trains each way later this year. using Grand Central also means you’re supporting a Sunderland foundered business, the development of Sunderland’s train station, wider city development and potentially investment in … other parts of the city (can say no more on that for now).

Grand Central run 5 trains there and back Monday to Saturday, 4 on a Sunday. As reliable as any other service, friendlier staff, clean carriages, bogs are dated but fine. Good choice at the buffet car. Service to increase to 6 trains each way later this year. using Grand Central also means you’re supporting a Sunderland foundered business, the development of Sunderland’s train station, wider city development and potentially investment in … other parts of the city (can say no more on that for now).

Are they still running 5 a day.... know they scaled back during the pandemic

Maybe 45 mins or so longer trip but id use that going to durham. Been a godsend for me (hpool).

I know it was posted in jest, but it beggars belief spending all that money so Londoners can save seven minutes, while up here GoNorthEast are planning on cutting loads of services.

They want to cut the 28 which is a direct link to Gateshead/Newcastle and are going to reduce the frequency of the 34. It's going to make it harder for people going to work and school, and there will be no direct bus to GP surgeries in Birtley or Pelton Fell or the QE hospital. It will impact my daughter who uses the bus to go to and from school.

I know it was posted in jest, but it beggars belief spending all that money so Londoners can save seven minutes, while up here GoNorthEast are planning on cutting loads of services.

They want to cut the 28 which is a direct link to Gateshead/Newcastle and are going to reduce the frequency of the 34. It's going to make it harder for people going to work and school, and there will be no direct bus to GP surgeries in Birtley or Pelton Fell or the QE hospital. It will impact my daughter who uses the bus to go to and from school.
Look at the clip of Northern rail too.

My fatha only brought up these differences 27 times while down the smoke 😆

We need a TFL equivalent that covers all of the north east. Give Nexus some teeth, and make it cross county boaundaries. It's barmy that transport links from Seaham aren't joined up / coordinated with Tyne & Wear

As with HS2 it's basically a capacity upgrade and housing development enabler, not a time saver. It was also 70% funded by London itself through a tax on development.

It shouldn't be a race to the bottom anyway. The government should be investing heavily into public transport around the country.
We need a TFL equivalent that covers all of the north east. Give Nexus some teeth, and make it cross county boaundaries. It's barmy that transport links from Seaham aren't joined up / coordinated with Tyne & Wear
Definitely, it's such a fractured system around the country, and it benefits private companies, but the general public.

Manchester have recently got the green light (following a legal battle) to run their own TfL style system. They'll have control over bus routes, frequencies, branding and ticketing, and bus operators will run those services on contract.

Last edited:

Back