The Disabled

Status
Not open for further replies.
This BBC article makes reference to an absolutely stunning statistic. Apparently 2/3 of those who've died from Covid-19 were disabled. I'd like to think I've read it wrongly but I don't think I have.

This BBC article makes reference to an absolutely stunning statistic. Apparently 2/3 of those who've died from Covid-19 were disabled. I'd like to think I've read it wrongly but I don't think I have.
I couldn’t believe it when I read it either. Mistake perhaps? Seems a big one to make
I couldn’t believe it when I read it either. Mistake perhaps? Seems a big one to make
Not that it makes any difference either way I should add. Just must be extremely worrying for those affected.

Last edited:
Guessing disabled means more than just physically - probably including care home, elderly/dementia patients/etc.

As a disabled woman, shielding, I think the need for ppe for the disabled sitting at home 24/7, comes a long way behind the need for NHS personnel directly dealing with people who have covid. She might be her own first priority, but she isn’t the first priority of the country. Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one.

As for the statistics, this is a grey area. Realistically if I got covid then my chances of surviving it would be very low. But that’s because of my pre existing conditions. We have known all through this that if you had certain conditions then you were more vulnerable. That’s why those people were told to shield for four months.

Guessing disabled means more than just physically - probably including care home, elderly/dementia patients/etc.

Or the general run of people with pre existing conditions, such as diabetes or obesity which usually allow them to live normally but in this case makes them more vulnerable.

Or the general run of people with pre existing conditions, such as diabetes or obesity which usually allow them to live normally but in this case makes them more vulnerable.
So an asthmatic or diabetic would be classed as disabled in the figures? All seems a bit odd to me. Take care by the way.

Something that has a significant impact on your ability to lead a normal day to day life was my understanding.

You don't think asthmatics or diabetics should fall into that category?
Even though their condition for quite a number could lead to death if not controlled properly.

Ah well, are you off to the pub?

You don't think asthmatics or diabetics should fall into that category?
Even though their condition for quite a number could lead to death if not controlled properly.

Ah well, are you off to the pub?
I’m asthmatic marra. Just didn’t think, if I died of Covid, I would be classed as a disabled death. If they are including them, then 2/3 is no surprise.

Abysmal bait by the way.

Hmmmm not sure what to make of this article. What do they define as disabled? The ONS data overwhelmingly shows older people have died of this virus (I'll dig out the stats later). My wife is disabled, but also has asthma for example which is a different underlying health condition. Her disability isn't the reason why she was told to shield for example, it was the asthma. Strange article.

Last edited:
I’m asthmatic marra. Just didn’t think, if I died of Covid, I would be classed as a disabled death. If they are including them, then 2/3 is no surprise.

Abysmal bait by the way.

How is it bait, you made no reference to you having asthma, of course it's going to be classed as a disabled death you have an underlying medical condition.
A respiratory disease.

From the ONS data.
Disability was measured using the 2011 Census question which asked:

Are your day-to-day activities limited because of a health problem or disability which has lasted, or is expected to last, at least 12 months? Include problems related to old age?
Yes, limited a lot
Yes, limited a little
No

Limited a little counting as a disability might explain high numbers.

From the ONS data.

Are your day-to-day activities limited because of a health problem or disability which has lasted, or is expected to last, at least 12 months? Include problems related to old age?
Yes, limited a lot
Yes, limited a little
No

Thank you, cleared it up.

From the ONS data.

Yes, limited a lot
Yes, limited a little
No

That is what the Equality Act defines a disability as. If that applies to anyone you are covered under the act at work as well

As a disabled woman, shielding, I think the need for ppe for the disabled sitting at home 24/7, comes a long way behind the need for NHS personnel directly dealing with people who have covid. She might be her own first priority, but she isn’t the first priority of the country. Sometimes the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few - or the one.

As for the statistics, this is a grey area. Realistically if I got covid then my chances of surviving it would be very low. But that’s because of my pre existing conditions. We have known all through this that if you had certain conditions then you were more vulnerable. That’s why those people were told to shield for four months.
Hang on a minute, you're a woman? :eek:

I've been shielding but I don't think it was of any concern for me but rather so that the NHS hospitals didn't become clogged up. If they had cared that much about us why was covid-19 allowed to go on the rampage through care homes. How are you coping with the endless supply of tomato soup?

I've been shielding but I don't think it was of any concern for me but rather so that the NHS hospitals didn't become clogged up. If they had cared that much about us why was covid-19 allowed to go on the rampage through care homes. How are you coping with the endless supply of tomato soup?

The guidance on discharging positive but otherwise “well” people back to care homes came at a time when we had no idea exactly how many hospital beds were going to be needed.

Using hospital beds as a holding facility for positive but well elderly people could have taken hundreds, maybe thousands of beds out of circulation.

Once my cupboards become too full I take all the excess to Asda to put in the food bank trolley. Last time I took so much they phoned the food bank to ask them to make a special visit to collect it all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back