The craic in the USA

Land of the free and the incredibly stupid (and partisan)

Compare the responses of America's leaders and public to that of Canada. Canada's leaders have been open and honest, acknowledging things that have not gone so well and been frank with instructions and the science behind them leading to the public largely concording with what they were told, even to the point where the opposition have praised the response.

America's workers rights, or lack of, healthcare and benefit systems hasn't helped but the complete lack of togetherness and leadership has been terrible.

Apparently the new guidance from the White House is going to be that America has to learn to live together with Covid.

They are now adding one full St. James' Park worth of covid-19 cases per day.

52,100 yesterday to be exact.

Top testing ?!?

Cases are going up even in states testing is going down (e.g., Wisconsin). In Arizona, the positive rate is almost 25%, which is higher than it's ever been, even as testing expands. As you test more people, the positive rate would go down (same numerator over a greater denominator) - unless cases are going up even faster than you're expanding testing.

It's an absolute shitshow. My company has an enormous office in Houston. It had reopened. It's now closed again because Houston is awash in coronavirus cases. Stop grasping at straws.

Last edited:
Cases are going up even in states testing is going down (e.g., Wisconsin). In Arizona, the positive rate is almost 25%, which is higher than it's ever been, even as testing expands. As you test more people, the positive rate would go down (same numerator over a greater denominator) - unless cases are going up even faster than you're expanding testing.

Stop grasping at straws.

The test is for seasonal flu...this is why there are so many false positives, thank god it's not false negatives.

The test is for seasonal flu...this is why there are so many false positives, thank god it's not false negatives.

No, it's not. And there is no flu in Florida and Arizona after roughly mid-March. Unlike coronavirus, seasonal flu is...seasonal...meaning, cold months. And it's 109 Fahrenheit (43 Celsius) in Phoenix right now.

I know pubs opened today, but it might be best to call it an evening.

They are not false positives. Hospitals in Houston are very close to full. Same story in many places in AZ.

No, it's not. And there is no flu in Florida and Arizona after roughly mid-March. Unlike coronavirus, seasonal flu is...seasonal...meaning, cold months. And it's 109 Fahrenheit (43 Celsius) in Phoenix right now.

I know pubs opened today, but it might be best to call it an evening.

They are not false positives. Hospitals in Houston are very close to full. Same story in many places in AZ.

Even Germanys testing is only 80% accurate...you can't distinguish 100% Covid19 from Coronaviruses, which is why the tests fall on the side of caution as a positive, rather than an all clear.

Even Germanys testing is only 80% accurate...you can't distinguish 100% Covid19 from Coronaviruses, which is why the tests fall on the side of caution as a positive, rather than an all clear.

The test itself hasn't changed, so if the rate of positives is going up, then cases are going up - a constant percentage of those will be false positives (not nearly 20%, but you can have that fiction in your mind because it's literally irrelevant) - unless you claim that somehow every new case is due to a false positive. Is that your claim?

Last edited:
The test itself hasn't changed, so if the rate of positives is going up, then cases are going up - a constant percentage of those will be false positives (not nearly 20%, but you can have that fiction in your mind because it's literally irrelevant) - unless you claim that somehow every new case is due to a false positive. Is that your claim?

No idea mate, it's all bollocks to me and I'm not a fan of the Covid situation either, just not for me it has to be said. Will just go by my local knowledge and analysis and apply those factors to other situations to get a reasonable picture.

No idea mate, it's all bollocks to me and I'm not a fan of the Covid situation either, just not for me it has to be said. Will just go by my local knowledge and analysis and apply those factors to other situations to get a reasonable picture.

You could have stopped after the first three words. Actually, you could probably use that in place of about 95% of what you post if I'm being generous.

'We know what we need to do': six experts address the coronavirus surge

What a sad state of affairs. The medical experts, not surprisingly, know the score and what should be done. But the two waving the flag at the top, don't have the brains or the inclination to listen to them. They are out touting for votes. But will their election even be able to go ahead ?

What a sad state of affairs. The medical experts, not surprisingly, know the score and what should be done. But the two waving the flag at the top, don't have the brains or the inclination to listen to them. They are out touting for votes. But will their election even be able to go ahead ?

It's an awful state of affairs but if nothing else it's an example to the rest of the world what happens when you fuck it up.

As it stands the USA is just a giant petri dish.

Back