The Chris Coleman effect through the eyes of Robin Ruiter...

Coleman's first 4 games - 5 goals conceded
Grayson's last 4 games - 9 goals conceded.

There's been a clear improvement already. I don't think that we'd have conceded 3 against Reading either if we'd kept 11 on the field. We look more organised, hold our shape better, mark better, track runners better and also there's been a notable improvement in the keepers.

Hope it continues at home though. We simply have to start getting results at the SOL.

It’s also very frightening that he’s having to tell people where to stand!
I’m glad he’s working on the shape but having to explain to people to move as a unit is mind boggling at that level.
I’m hoping Ruiter is simplifying it for the press, but as long as it keeps working I’m happy.

I’m glad he’s working on the shape but having to explain to people to move as a unit is mind boggling at that level.
I’m hoping Ruiter is simplifying it for the press, but as long as it keeps working I’m happy.

I was always told the team has to move like a pendulum with the anchor being deep midfield,
The whole team has to move as one ,

One full back attacks the other ticks in next to the centre half ,
I’m a bit pissed but I know what I mean !

He's absolutely slaughtered Grayson in that interview.

"According to goalkeeper Ruiter, he has brought an eye for detail, organisation, togetherness, confidence and even a willingness to accept honestly-made mistakes."

You'd expect all that from a f***ing pub team manager!

You could maybe understand it if Coleman had replaced a caretaker who'd never managed before, but you're talking about a guy you paid compensation for and gave a three year deal to, someone who has managed over 600 games and was sold to you as a Championship expert!

It's not about not knowing what to do, it's about developing a trust and understanding so you can work together as a unit.

An orchestra knows how to play, but they still need conducting.

Last edited:

You would think so. But then again when you watch the likes of Conte then he is regularly doing it at Chelsea (as do other managers of top clubs).

Exactly right mate. Its staggering that pro-footballers on thousands a week need someone to tell them the basics. They have either never learned them or have chosen to forget. Don't know which is the worse of the two.

It removes the thinking that the players don’t care as what fans thought.

It must be that players are just removed of all confidence.

Exactly right mate. Its staggering that pro-footballers on thousands a week need someone to tell them the basics. They have either never learned them or have chosen to forget. Don't know which is the worse of the two.
Or had it coached out of them, remember rip Ferdinand on about Moyes saying that his tactics were baffling. If a manager is telling players to play in a certain way and is forgetting all about the basics then that’s what we see.

It removes the thinking that the players don’t care as what fans thought.

It must be that players are just removed of all confidence.

The 19 point season was like that. Nobody wanted the ball and you could see it was because they were scared of being the one to make a mistake. It's crept back in over the last year or two and I'm glad someone like Coleman has come in and told them "that's football, just express yourselves out there"

Back