The Bridges tower blocks

Dave Herbal

Striker
Given that tower blocks tend to have a finite life span, whether for structural or aesthetic reasons, do you think it was a short-sighted plan to base the entire town centre around some? If they ever need to come down they’ll have to flatten the bridges as well.

Given that tower blocks tend to have a finite life span, whether for structural or aesthetic reasons, do you think it was a short-sighted plan to base the entire town centre around some? If they ever need to come down they’ll have to flatten the bridges as well.

I just hope they’re better than the civic. We used to get the odd job there way back in my spwd days. Some of the concrete looked like it was fucked then and it was a kick up the arse off 30 years ago.

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Always wondered what they’re like inside. Back in my nightclubbing days I would have loved to be able to nip round from Annabel’s or Ku and be home. No freezing your arse off in the Park Lane taxi queue or shivering your way up Chester Road in the rain.

Probably cheaper just to blow it all up and rebuild the shops then.
You could say that about most of the town

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Always wondered what they’re like inside. Back in my nightclubbing days I would have loved to be able to nip round from Annabel’s or Ku and be home. No freezing your arse off in the Park Lane taxi queue or shivering your way up Chester Road in the rain.
I went out with a lass who lived in the ones in Nottingham city centre ( like the ones above the bridges) and it was great most of the time. Parking was shite as you had to pay every day

Last edited:

Concrete continued to harden with time and as long as the rebar isn’t exposed, the reinforcement should corrode.

It would be safe to assume they were built in accordance with the building codes of the time, so I can’t imagine problems with shear walls are a concern as this will have been checked following Ronan Point. Therefore, unless there is a significant other structural design issue relative to modern building codes, there’s no reason why the actual life can be extended far beyond design life subject to good maintenance regimes.

As for demo, do it from the inside top working down-over using the external walls to contain the debris with water cannon suppression from the top for dust.

You could say that about most of the town

I went out with a lass who lived in the ones in Nottingham city centre ( like the ones above the bridges) and it was great most of the time. Parking was shite as you had to pay every day
Victoria centre.

How do you get in and out when the shopping centre is closed? The lifts from the flats are accessed from just outside the shops.

Back