The birch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skandhaless

Striker
Following on from the scatters causing mayhem thread.
Birch never gets mentioned as a deterrent although the much more severe and abhorrent capital sentence does.
I have heard it said few went back for a second helping, where as custodial sentences for the young seem like a revolving door.
Maybe we need to be cruel to be kind, or maybe not. What's the thoughts?

I don't think it's the way forward to be honest.

Castration may work to take some out the gene pool
😆
I've heard it was a severe enough experience to dissuade the vast number of undecided at least. Of course it would further brutalise a budding sociopath.
Try it for a 5 year trial. Study the results.Though I doubt budding sociopaths are reachable. Or rehababilatateable.😉

Last edited:
😆

Try it for a 5 year trial. Study the results.Though I doubt budding sociopaths are reachable. Or rehababilatateable.😉
Not with the birch certainly. But I reckon the vast majority of young offenders are not sociopathic. I would also suggest we give kids every chance to reform via standard youth justice practices but when it came to custodial if the judge had the birch option up his sleeve then the outside chance might pull a few up that don't mind a spell in castington.
But again I still can't get myself to advocate it really its brutality

Last edited:
People forget that in the main, prison really is the last resort. Everyone will generally have had a great deal of input from mainstream services all of their lives, before they reach the stage where they are labelled as scratters. Even before prison they will have spent time under the watchful eye of the Probation Service.

Short term we have a lot of intervening to do in the criminal justice system. Long term we need to go back to the drawing board and invest at ‘grass roots’ level in all areas.

Overall, given the way things currently are. I would say that short and long term, the future is pretty bleak. Not a quantum leap to that conclusion I agree.

If social media is such a menace we should use it to our advantage. Filmed community service of the little scrotes cleaning the bogs at the away end.

When you're thinking about something like this, I think it's important not just to think about what it does or doesn't do to the people receiving it, but also what it does to the people administering it, or who might be keen to use it, given that the birch was mainly a school thing.

The biggest enthusiasts for administering corporal punishment at my school seemed to take an unholy pleasure in doing it, and there are at least a couple who I'd say in retrospect were getting their rocks off on it.

The hard labour thing, I have no problem with, especially if it's coupled with a rule that every day where you piss about or don't pull your weight or infringe, you get another two days added on to the time you have to serve.

If social media is such a menace we should use it to our advantage. Filmed community service of the little scrotes cleaning the bogs at the away end.
A little public humiliation used to work wonders but that was back in the old days and it's become a bit of an ineffective tool now. But that's what it would take these days, humiliation via phone. That's all people look at.

OP wise, birchings via phone or not wouldn't work.

Following on from the scatters causing mayhem thread.
Birch never gets mentioned as a deterrent although the much more severe and abhorrent capital sentence does.
I have heard it said few went back for a second helping, where as custodial sentences for the young seem like a revolving door.
Maybe we need to be cruel to be kind, or maybe not. What's the thoughts?

When a 13 year old is caught up in a murder you need to be birching the parents more than the child.
They should be up on neglect, abuse and child endangerment charges as it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back