'The best teams, when in possession...

...they don't run loads...'

at 5mins 27secs here:

Is there any merit at all in this?

I appreciate it's potentially part of a broader point so it may be unfair to take only a snippet maybe out of context but, as much as I was trying to stay open minded on Beale, this comment pricked up my ears and had me concerned from the start.

It's since manifested though and seems to have been adopted as the ethos of the team. Generally, with the exception of a couple of halves of football, our movement in possession under Beale is so limited that it's stifling. There's little to no options for the man in possession regardless of where on the pitch we have the ball and it has rendered our attacking play useless (as evidenced by the way our xG stats have fallen off a cliff since he came in).

It's what leads to the slow, ponderous football we're enduring. It's dull and boring to watch and must be excruciating to play in. Particularly when you're a young, fit, sharp, energetic squad of players that seem to be having to play within themselves under instruction.

To give him the benefit of the doubt, perhaps the broader point was that there can still be good movement, just within confined areas - perhaps being presented as an antidote to Mowbray's sometimes cavalier approach that saw us left wide open and cut through with a couple of passes. If that is the case then he still hasn't manged to implement it successfully.

Back