The BBC Website and Using Twitter Arguments as Headline Articles

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lexingtongue

Woke up this morning and found this article about a female doctor of history wanting to be referred to as Dr instead of Ms/Miss which somehow devolved into a petty argument about gender was a headline on the BBC website. Does an inflammatory argument between Twitter users like this one deserve to take precedence over news from world politics and warzones at the top of the BBC site?

If I wanted to know what was happening on Twitter, I’d download Twitter.

The fact I haven’t means I don’t.

Crap journalism.

It's all about getting exclusive stories, what better way than to make the news yourself? Doesn't help that the public only want to hear about any one subject for like a week. There's been things rolling on for months and they've been completely dropped from media coverage.

The BBC is produced by middle class, university educated, chattering class people, for, middle class, university educated, chattering class people. And, of course, those that like to think they are middle class............

It's all about getting exclusive stories, what better way than to make the news yourself? Doesn't help that the public only want to hear about any one subject for like a week. There's been things rolling on for months and they've been completely dropped from media coverage.
Is this a story anyone actually cares about, though? I certainly don't want to read about this kind of stuff.

I really dislike the continual integration of Twitter posts into the BBC's articles. If I wanted the uneducated opinion of the populace for every story I'd go direct to Twitter.

For years the BBC has regularly reported the story lines from some of its more popular soap operas - that usually involve main characters dying or marrying - as items of "news".

The BBC is currently running courses for school kids enabling them to discern "fake news" . I have a feeling. however that this highlights the output of other new agencies rather than its own. :lol:

It's not actually in the main news headlines (it's under 'Stories' with stuff about Leslie Grantham and French speed limits) but I would agree that the levels of importance they attach to news articles can be baffling.

Is this a story anyone actually cares about, though? I certainly don't want to read about this kind of stuff.

I really dislike the continual integration of Twitter posts into the BBC's articles. If I wanted the uneducated opinion of the populace for every story I'd go direct to Twitter.
They've done it for years though. Before the arrival of Twitter they would stop and interview people in the street for you to cringe at. I don't think anyone wants to hear what the next man in the street thinks, it's just a cheap and easy way to fill airtime.

It's not actually in the main news headlines (it's under 'Stories' with stuff about Leslie Grantham and French speed limits) but I would agree that the levels of importance they attach to news articles can be baffling.
It's the BBC's mixture of serious news items and abject nonsense in its reportage that distorts the news. The nonsense distracts from the much more serious news items. I don't consider myself to be a particularly miserable git but I don't watch the news for entertainement - I watch it to be informed. BBC news coverage lost its way with respect to its reporting of important and serious news decades ago .

I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that within in minutes of the ending of its World Cup Final coverage the BBC news bulletin immediately afterwards will invariably lead on the headline "Country X Wins World Cup". This will be despite the fact that the majority of people will have wittnessed the event as it happened. The real news for that day will just be lost.

It's the BBC's mixture of serious news items and abject nonsense in its reportage that distorts the news. The nonsense distracts from the much more serious news items. I don't consider myself to be a particularly miserable git but I don't watch the news for entertainement - I watch it to be informed. BBC news coverage lost its way with respect to its reporting of important and serious news decades ago .

I can tell you without any shadow of a doubt that within in minutes of the ending of its World Cup Final coverage the BBC news bulletin immediately afterwards will invariably lead on the headline "Country X Wins World Cup". This will be despite the fact that the majority of people will have wittnessed the event as it happened. The real news for that day will just be lost.
Fair points although I'm not sure about your World Cup analogy (after all, it's a major event). Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, people are interested in entertainment news and the like and the website needs the traffic to justify itself. In an ideal world I'd be right behind you on this but we're now more of a minority view.

Woke up this morning and found this article about a female doctor of history wanting to be referred to as Dr instead of Ms/Miss which somehow devolved into a petty argument about gender was a headline on the BBC website. Does an inflammatory argument between Twitter users like this one deserve to take precedence over news from world politics and warzones at the top of the BBC site?

My first thought when I saw that last night was "who gives a fuck"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back