• Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Icarebecauseyoudo

By a load of public school types on extended winter hols

Jolly good fun, if daddy can afford it :lol:

I just can't imagine how they would get on with Poley :eek:

Nevermind public school boys when I saw the BBC news before every single chant I heard was a 100% blatant rip-off of a NUFC song

:eek:

Nevermind public school boys when I saw the BBC news before every single chant I heard was a 100% blatant rip-off of a NUFC song

Sure you don't mean MUFC? Apart from the trumpet doing The Blaydon Races there's nowt.

For every rah watching England there are 5 normal lads. The most annoying ones are the attention seekers drssing up in wacky gear and trying to make a name for themselves so they're recognised like Jimmy Saville/ the trumpeter.

Also, if you read the England fanzine (Corridor of Uncerainty) you will see that The Barmy Army seem to have alienated a lot of people in the past few years by becoming a brand etc. Poledancer will know the full story on this obv.

Last edited:
Aye it all seems a bit contrived to me, seen a clip on the news where one old bloke (The type that wants to be seen as wacky and one of the boys when in actual fact he's the owner of a stationary company with a jag in the garage at home) was coordinating his army to shout "Andrew Strauss'" then they'd shout "Barmy Army" - all a bit cringeworthy.

I got the impression you had to have his permission to join in.

:lol: if people aren't arguing about how many people should be at the SOL on PF they are on here analysing what class of supporter should follow England at cricket.

Sure you don't mean MUFC? Apart from the trumpet doing The Blaydon Races there's nowt.

For every rah watching England there are 5 normal lads. The most annoying ones are the attention seekers drssing up in wacky gear and trying to make a name for themselves so they're recognised like Jimmy Saville/ the trumpeter.

Also, if you read the England fanzine (Corridor of Uncerainty) you will see that The Barmy Army seem to have alienated a lot of people in the past few years by becoming a brand etc. Poledancer will know the full story on this obv.

that's always been the plan. i know the guy who started it and a mate of mine was the first bloke to sell barmy army t-shirts (the balls and chain ones back in '93). I still bump into them and have a chat every tour.

it's in their interest to be inclusive to market the gear, sell travel packages etc but they hate anyone trying to steal their thunder and are very cliquey. like yesterday for example if some other group got a chant going they would never join in...

The ICC recognises them as a brand. During the T20 WC Poledancer got told to stop waving his Barmy Army flag by some ICC bod as it was classed as ambush advertising.

By a load of public school types on extended winter hols

Jolly good fun, if daddy can afford it :lol:

I just can't imagine how they would get on with Poley :eek:

dont know waht the fuck youre on about mate
No public school types in the Army all the younguns are down to earth workin class...simple as

Billy trumpets Blaydon races for Swanny the PLASTIC MAG

Surely the fact that most of these people seem to go to every match on every tour means that most of them are middle to upper class financially?

It must cost thousands to do it, and at least 3 months off work.

Surely the fact that most of these people seem to go to every match on every tour means that most of them are middle to upper class financially?

Not really. I can only speak for travelling to Barbados but you can get flights and digs for 2 weeks for less than a grand if you shop around. Depending on where you stay on the island beer tokens and food vouchers amount to about £1000 max. I've never spent more than £800 in two weeks and I've been 5 times.

Last year when I went for the T20 WC it cost me £1040. This included return flights from Newcastle to Heathrow, return travel Heathrow-Gatwick, one nights stay in a hotel at Gatwick, return flights from Gatwick to Barbados, return transfers from the airport to the digs and 2 weeks digs on the west coast near Holetown (expensive part of the island). The digs were single occupancy too.

its all well planned in advance

accumulate all leave ..Fuck faliraki etc etc in the summer
book flights early ...cheaper

book accomodation with no loss of deposit, so book more than 1
get somebody to share cut costs

make full use of duty free..booze and fags in
bring loads of fags bac

Join the Barmy Army or at least the barmy Army forum for tips and advice

SRI LANKA next year is goin to be a fuckin classic

its all well planned in advance

accumulate all leave ..Fuck faliraki etc etc in the summer
book flights early ...cheaper

book accomodation with no loss of deposit, so book more than 1
get somebody to share cut costs

make full use of duty free..booze and fags in
bring loads of fags bac

Join the Barmy Army or at least the barmy Army forum for tips and advice

Is it really as simple as that?

Always thought those who go to every test in the winter would be spending a fair bit more.

May look into it if it can be as good value.

Is it really as simple as that?

Always thought those who go to every test in the winter would be spending a fair bit more.

May look into it if it can be as good value.

feel free to mail me or PM me for advice mate

Sri Lanka next up
its supposed to be feb/march 2012 but rumours are it may be brought forward to coincide with festive season for better tourism etc

im back out there in 2012, coming back just in time for the tour to start :-(

feel free to mail me or PM me for advice mate

Sri Lanka next up
its supposed to be feb/march 2012 but rumours are it may be brought forward to coincide with festive season for better tourism etc

i read it was just march (tests)

im out there middle feb.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back