The Athletic

Sallycinamon

Midfield
Hope this is okay in the football section. Does anyone subscribe to The Athletic? Is it worth doing, content-wise? And also have there been any problems at renewal time or cancelling your subscription? Seem to be a few problematic stories when Googled. Cheers in advance 👍

Obvious answer but depends what you want. I tried it for a month or something but there was very little safc stuff and I wasn't that interested in the other stuff so it wasn't worth subscribing. Then of course I found people can just use that archive link to see any articles for free so I thought I'm definitely not subscribing. If you're interested in reading lots of stuff about other clubs etc then it's probably not a bad shout, the standard of article was generally decent I thought

I still have it, it’s worth it for the commute if nothing else. There’s always offers on to make it worthwhile. Went to cancel it and they offered me it for £25 a year

Some rubbish, but some good stuff. Better than the other stuff online I find

Subscribed for £1 a month a few years ago when they had the Black Friday offer on. Never used it.

A lot of the articles look interesting but really aren't and don't really say a lot imo. Each to their own but there's no way it's worth the full price.

There's a workaround on iPhone/Mac where if you press Show Reader it'll load up the full article for free anyway. And probably other workarounds on other devices.

No issues cancelling.

I still have it, it’s worth it for the commute if nothing else. There’s always offers on to make it worthwhile. Went to cancel it and they offered me it for £25 a year

Some rubbish, but some good stuff. Better than the other stuff online I find
Their prices are pretty random. I was playing £2/month, went to cancel and got it for £10 for the year.

I’m crap at reading and have a tiny attention span so I find most of their articles too long to get through 🫣

They do have a podcast on Spotify which looks like it puts something out every day Mon-Fri. I might give that a go.

Subscribed for £1 a month a few years ago when they had the Black Friday offer on.
I did this, I did read it, but I didn't find the content to be very well organised. I had seen some articles advertised online I thought looked interesting but I just couldn't find them on the website.

No problem cancelling once the promo period was up.

Signed up a few years ago. Used it often at first but faded.

Had a problem logging in to the app (worked on web) a year and a half ago. Spoke to customer service who were helpful at first but didn’t resolve it. In the end they gave up trying to help.

Emailed them at renewal last May to cancel as still couldn’t get in. No reply. They didn’t cancel it and took payment.

Had to contact t them several more times to get a response and cancel. Eventually they gave me a free year and refunded the renewal I didn’t want.

Still can’t get in to the app.

A lot of the articles look interesting but really aren't and don't really say a lot imo
I agree with this. There was an article recently about two-footed players which could have been fascinating but it was essentially listing two-footed players and saying how they all showed ability or were trained by their fathers at a young age.

It had a small section on different positions and how using one or both feet can affect play but that was it.

Back