The Art of Captaincy

Status
Not open for further replies.

NorthCountryBoy

Striker
Staff member
I'm going to be doing a bit of this this year so thought I'd see how others on here who have done it found it.

Re tactics I haven't got many thoughts except slips are a luxury in lower league cricket (save next to no runs and hardly any catches stick) and that batting wise you're generally best having blockers at the top to see off their best bowlers and hitters lower down to hit the crap.

Anyone got any experiences or tips to pass on?

NorthCountryBoy said:
I'm going to be doing a bit of this this year so thought I'd see how others on here who have done it found it.

Re tactics I haven't got many thoughts except slips are a luxury in lower league cricket (save next to no runs and hardly any catches stick) and that batting wise you're generally best having blockers at the top to see off their best bowlers and hitters lower down to hit the crap.

I was a class captain

Hope that helps

after your record in essex .... don't do it ;)

good luck you're going to need it with all the prima donnas in this team :lol:

Blocker and a stroke player to open, with another blocker at three.

If the guy who likes to play can get through the opening bowlers and into first change with his eye in, the game will normally be won. If he's out cheap, number three can go back to the block plan!! `

You should read Mike Brearley's - The Art of Captaincy

I was given this by one of our committee members ahead of my first full season as captain. It's a very good read and the emphasis is on man management. Although cricket is a team game it relies heavily on individual performances.

I cant really give you any advice as I'm only just 24 and still learning the game. Going on to my 3rd season as captain and I'm learning alot tactically from our pro who has played a good standard of cricket through his career.

In the lower leagues of cricket though, I feel the key is restricting and frustrating the batting side. Bowl one side of the wicket and set a field to prevent their scoring shots (boundaries). Alot of teams are inpatient and will feel bogged down if they aren't scorIng boundaries, eventually they will give in and give you an opportunity. You will be surprised at how successful this tactic is. When your batting, rotate the strike. You can win a game with singles. If someone is batting well then the other batsmans job is to get off strike.

There is obviously no magic formula and you can't accommodate for every scenario in cricket, sometimes your poor or simply outplayed. I'm still learning shit loads though. Its all starting to click a bit now and hopefully I won't be as reliant on our Pro tactically wise this season.

Think about the opposition batsman and try to work out where he is strong. Generally local cricketers will have a strong area and a weaker one (if they didnt they wouldnt be local cricketers).

Starve them of their favoured shots and set the field accordingly and they will have to try something outside of their comfort zone!

Obviously if you dont know a player take note of everything they do for later in their innings and the next time you play them.

Another big thing I've learnt is how to set a proper field. It's all about angles. I used to have a 1 dimensional ring with a lot of big gaps that batsman exposed with ease. Staggering the field you make those gaps much smaller and put doubt in a batsmans mind.

You should read Mike Brearley's - The Art of Captaincy

I was given this by one of our committee members ahead of my first full season as captain. It's a very good read and the emphasis is on man management. Although cricket is a team game it relies heavily on individual performances.

I cant really give you any advice as I'm only just 24 and still learning the game. Going on to my 3rd season as captain and I'm learning alot tactically from our pro who has played a good standard of cricket through his career.

In the lower leagues of cricket though, I feel the key is restricting and frustrating the batting side. Bowl one side of the wicket and set a field to prevent their scoring shots (boundaries). Alot of teams are inpatient and will feel bogged down if they aren't scorIng boundaries, eventually they will give in and give you an opportunity. You will be surprised at how successful this tactic is. When your batting, rotate the strike. You can win a game with singles. If someone is batting well then the other batsmans job is to get off strike.

There is obviously no magic formula and you can't accommodate for every scenario in cricket, sometimes your poor or simply outplayed. I'm still learning shit loads though. Its all starting to click a bit now and hopefully I won't be as reliant on our Pro tactically wise this season.

Depends on the scenario and the quality of your bowlers you have to play with - if we had 200 on the board and asked Brownie to bowl a foot outside off stump to a 7-2 field he'd go mental! Having said that, if we had 80 on the board and asked him to do that he'd go mental.....

Given that you have a stronger batting side than bowling side (fair?) I can see where you're coming from. You also have to cut your cloth to suit playing at Washington every other week - its a big ground and a slow, low pitch (usually, although did improve last season if memory serves) - so its easier to frustrate a batting side than it would be at, for example, our place or Ryhope.

Take it the same pro has been retained? Surely you lot thought about getting a bowler in; especially with Ebs leaving?!

Last edited:
Yeah, we have brought in a bowler and working on a couple more additions hopefully.

Goes without saying your tactics adapt to where and who your playing, and also depends on what resources you have available.

I only won 2 tosses in the league last season haha and we struggled to get 10 wickets each week to win games. With lack of fire power in our bowling we had to restrict teams as best as possible. Which I think we did as we only lost 4 league games.

We are stronger batting though, and if I win a few more tosses I'd back us to restrict teams to under 200 and knock it off.

Just lost James Thompson and Adam Hickey to Durham Accademy like.

dont have a deep square leg for a seamer on a pitch where the ball doesnt get above ankle height, especially first ball of the innings ;)

on turgid low and slow wickets have schoolboy ring fields

short boundaries need protecting, usually with two fielders

Reading through the advice given I think the best bet is to just make your own mind up. Everyone will have different advice but you are clearly playing at a decent enough standard (if its Washington 1st XI) and numerous scenarios will come up in every game you play.

When I have captained sides in the past the really tough job I have had is filtering through all of the different views teammates generally offer, and coming up with my own decision.

Remember, if someone suggests something and you go with it, and it works - they will be holding fort all night in the bar telling all and sundry it was their idea. It doesn't quite work the other way however as if it goes wrong it will be you getting the grief as skipper, not them. If you are going to get criticised it may as well be on the back of your own decision - not someone elses.

Anyway, you seem intelligent enough and are playing a decent standard. The main thing that will develop you is experience so stick at it and I have no doubt it will come to you naturally as you progress.

Keep the replies coming! :lol:

Mate, it's a piece of piss. Just turn up pissed every week haha.

I've actually got that book if you want it lad? It's only the 2nd ever book I've read off my own back haha definitely worth a read. I'll bring it Sunday.

Make sure you distinguish between the two opposition batsman, especially when they get into a partnership.

Unless they are unusually good they'll only really have a couple of key shots and will hit the ball in specific places. To that extent, watch how they line up the ball and where they hit it, and then follow the fielders.

Have also known teams pick two of the more senior players to watch one batsman each. They then don't mix them up and can give the most impartial suggestions on fielders. Don't let them try and advise on where the bowlers bowl.

Agree with your point on slips, though generally there's a couple of people who can't run/throw and so wherever they go they won't contribute much.

Batting wise, don't think you do much differently.

Good luck.

Depends on the scenario and the quality of your bowlers you have to play with - if we had 200 on the board and asked Brownie to bowl a foot outside off stump to a 7-2 field he'd go mental! Having said that, if we had 80 on the board and asked him to do that he'd go mental.....

Given that you have a stronger batting side than bowling side (fair?) I can see where you're coming from. You also have to cut your cloth to suit playing at Washington every other week - its a big ground and a slow, low pitch (usually, although did improve last season if memory serves) - so its easier to frustrate a batting side than it would be at, for example, our place or Ryhope.

Take it the same pro has been retained? Surely you lot thought about getting a bowler in; especially with Ebs leaving?!

Yae better not be talking bout Houghton thirds here.

Yae better not be talking bout Houghton thirds here.

Doh!

: P

Decide what sought of Captain you want to be and what you want from the side. It's hard work and you will rarely get thanked.

Do you want to win at all costs?
Do you want a run out and a laugh?
Do you want to be a gentleman ensuring everything is very fair?
Remember you will upset people and as said earlier some if not most of your work will be man management.

Last edited:

Doh!

I got so angry I never read the rest and cast it aside as pure drivel :lol: You know me, two footed into everything!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back