The argument for sticking with LJ

He's head coach. That's his job title, and all the things you mention fall within a head coach's remit. A manager also takes on the roles Speakman is doing, a combination which is arguable too large for one person in a large club.
I agree but the other poster said he has no say who he coaches as though that's all he will do.

Knives are out by a lot and resulting in stuff being made up. Mental place that it is.

I think 2 things should be considered. 1. He came with the reputation of going through good runs followed by bad runs which he doesn't know how to get out of. This has happened here and is a massive worry. How can you bet against it happening next year. 2. He got it badly wrong in the play offs and got out thought by the opposition manager. Lincoln aren't better than us but on the evidence of (admittedly only) 2 games they have a better manager.

I don't think it is being entitled to look at both his past record and what he has done here to suggest he's not particularly good at his job. Unless you think that football fans should keep their opinions to ourselves.
Mate they beat us by 1 goal. Wyke missed a sitter, McGeady hit the post and Wright hit the bar when it was easier to score in the 1st leg.

We created the chances to have won that tie and were the better team yesterday. I'm not absolving LJ of blame but it's not like we lost 4-0 and looked devoid of ideas.

I agree but the other poster said he has no say who he coaches as though that's all he will do.

Knives are out by a lot and resulting in stuff being made up. Mental place that it is.

He has very limited say, particularly when it comes to identifying potential recruits. He's been brought in to coach to a playing brief that comes right from the top, and all football departments should be sharing the same recruitment objectives - pace, aggression (in terms of taking the game to the opposition), and attacking wherever possible. If they're in lockstep on that, then the only reason Johnson (or anyone else for that matter) would have to reject a player would be if he knew a negative about the player that the recruitment team hadn't picked up on.

What exactly is it, cos I don't see one?

Forget the individual in the job for a moment and focus on what the constant sacking of managers is doing to the club's reputation among managers.

Now consider the fact that some managers factor in the regular sackings when deciding whether to apply to manage Sunderland.

Now think about whether the next manager is likely to be better than the current one...

Last edited:
Final say, That's only a right of veto. He's not going to be compiling a list of people to sign; he'll simply have a choice from players identified by the recruitment and data teams.

In terms of coming up with names, no. Because he's a coach, not a manager.

If you really think he isn’t watching players and contributing to that conversation I can’t help you.

Mate they beat us by 1 goal. Wyke missed a sitter, McGeady hit the post and Wright hit the bar when it was easier to score in the 1st leg.

We created the chances to have won that tie and were the better team yesterday. I'm not absolving LJ of blame but it's not like we lost 4-0 and looked devoid of ideas.
I think we have better players but have a manager who struggles to get any settled idea of how to get the best out of them. Over the 2 games Lincoln definitely deserved it and I put that down to the Manager.

they hit the post down there and missed a penalty yesterday, we were the better side for 35 minutes, 35 minutes out of 180.

you can’t just say we missed chances so should’ve won, whilst completely ignoring the chances they missed man.

See the shite he signed in january?

Anyway fair enough. Lets blame the old managers players ....... What the fuck are johnsons tactics?

I dont think thats true. He signed Jones who was decent, Stewart who looks good. His back up left back got covid. The only one who i disagree with is Winchester and hes not terrible just i dont think it was the right position to sign. Its not like he signed Danny Graham and Aiden OBrien to solve our goalscoring problem

We need continuity. I’m not for a minute suggesting LJ is in the same league as Reid but going off some of the short term knee jerking on here would people have sacked Reid after the first relegstion? After the play off final defeat? Look what happened when he was given the chance to correct weaknesses in the squad over a longer period.
LJ has been working with a mishmash of players and with chronic injury issues in defence. We need to see what he does in conjunction with the new recruitment team. That will take some time and a bit of patience.
There’s no manager can guarantee success. Moyes and o Neil had pretty much their biggest failures at Sunderland.
Short termism and lack of good structure for recruitment and youth development have held us back for years.
Yet people still want the manager sacked after every set back. Easy to criticize, less straightforward to plot a constructive way forward.
The Reid comparison is invalid.
Reid rescued us from what was looking like relegation then got us promoted as champions before being relegated. 3 jobs, 3 seasons, 2 successes, 1 failure.
Johnson had 1 job, 1 season, 0 successes, 1 failure. Remember he said he could get us promoted in his interview for the job.

In answer to the OP. We cant keep changing as soon as things dont go our way. Its what has got us in the mess in the first place. Apart from BSA who has managed to get this bunch of bottling excuse for footballers playing?

We have to give a manager time to get rid of the dead wood, rid the place of the losing mentality and build a team. Whether LJ is the right person the only way we tell is allow him time.

I said it on another thread, he’ll get his summer, bring his players in and be gone before Christmas after a shite start, it’s the Sunderland way.
‘His players’ ? Hipsters who can understand his ‘theoretical speak’ ? Players who need their books and pencils and homework ?
f***ing hell, there are some dense bastards on here, as I have said I dont know how many f***ing times, he doesnt have the choice on what players he wants, he gets to pick from a pool which have been identified as suitable. Get it?
Don’t think he has the character to create a fighting team from this pool

Last edited:
Reid rescued us from what was looking like relegation then got us promoted as champions before being relegated. 3 jobs, 3 seasons, 2 successes, 1 failure.
Johnson had 1 job, 1 season, 0 successes, 1 failure. Remember he said he could get us promoted in his interview for the job.
The Cowleys were at least honest. They would have been by far the better long term bet.

He took over a shit team mid table. Added a few decent signings jones/stewart/sanderson and brought back mcgeady and finished 4th. In 4 months im not sure what else he could have achieved. We lacked the players to deliver imo largely up front in wyke plus stewart kept getting injured. We didnt uave enough good strikers to fire us to promotion imo.

Over 2 legs bad goalkeeping and shite finishing stopped us progressing.

Do i think johnson is the right man - not really but there is an argument to keep him based on last 4 months

He took over a team with a better points per game than LJ achieved with them. Regression.

Brought back McGeady. Hoorah! But we didn't do any better with Geads in the team than PP was doing without him.

LJ didn't add Sanderson, he was already here. He didn't even use Sanderson until injuries forced him to do it. Despite his reputation for developing young players, he was very reluctant to use them. Diamond, had only limited and sporadic chances.

Wyke was scoring fine ... can't expect any more goals from him, and his percentage conversions aren't bad for this league. But his striker partner? ... had an abysmal return, in goals and assists. Yet LJ kept picking Aiden O'Brien. Ahead of the likes of Gooch, Maguire.

Complete collapse in the last 9 games of the season, and constant fiddling with the side even after we'd played well were major concerns.

The only mitigating factor is injuries to defenders, but I'd still pull the trigger.

And I'm usually one of the last on here to call for a manager's head.

Last edited:
f***ing hell, there are some dense bastards on here, as I have said I dont know how many f***ing times, he doesnt have the choice on what players he wants, he gets to pick from a pool which have been identified as suitable. Get it?

Shove your patronising tone up your arse you worthless ****.
‘His players’ ? Hipsters who can understand his ‘theoretical speak’ ? Players who need their books and pencils and homework ?

Don’t think he has the character to create a fighting team from this pool

Im no LJ fan, it’s just what I think will happen.

Forget the individual in the job for a moment and focus on what the constant sacking of managers is doing to the club's reputation among managers.

Now consider the fact that some managers factor in the regular sackings when deciding whether to apply to manage Sunderland.

Now think about whether the next manager is likely to be better than the current one...
So we stick with a shit manager for God knows how long before we inevitably have to sack him anyway, just to save face with all the other managers who may or may not want the job?

Baffling.

To be picky I'd say he's had 1 minor success (won the trophy at wembley) but 2 failures (blowing promotion automatic and then blowing the play offs)
I'm pretty sick of him mind

Back