Test matches / bowlers on top

rentaghost

Striker
Just a short while ago everyone was saying how test match cricket had become a batsmans game but things seemed to have changed quite dramatically in no time at all. Its not a bad thing and makes test match cricket even more exciting but I was wondering what people thought about the reasons for it.

Excellent bowling attacks across the world
Weaker batting line ups - one day cricket impacting on defensive technique.
Pitches less flat than in recent years
DRS

Any thoughts?

Didn't realise that 2018 was the first time in about 30 years that there was the same amount of five wicket hauls as there was test centuries. :eek: Only seven batsmen were averaging over 50 and only Kohli passed 1000 test runs. The pitches have obviously improved a fair bit but the biggest problem is that the quality of the batters has declined a lot. The gulf between the likes of Kohli, Root, Pujara, de Villiers and arguably, on form since last year, Buttler and the rest of the so called quality test batters, is massive.

It's a bowlers game at the moment.

Just a short while ago everyone was saying how test match cricket had become a batsmans game but things seemed to have changed quite dramatically in no time at all. Its not a bad thing and makes test match cricket even more exciting but I was wondering what people thought about the reasons for it.

Excellent bowling attacks across the world
Weaker batting line ups - one day cricket impacting on defensive technique.
Pitches less flat than in recent years
DRS

Any thoughts?

Everyone all have a view, I think one day cricket etc is over played, the best players want to play test cricket and those who don’t were probably never good enough

We’ve got some seriously good bowling attacks, I have no doubt that the average pace of bowling attack’s is way way higher than it was back in the so called golden era, people like to pick out certain bowlers, fair enough but a lot weren’t that quick. Now, every bowler is pretty much 85

The pitches have also played a part, not sure where this has come from? Cricket boards?

I’m more qualified to talk about England, but the pitches in England are brilliant, great cricket

The worst cricket is still played in Australia, drop in pitches and not using the duke

Basically the Batsman deserve less stick, some names from the past get glorified too much.

It’s very hard now and it makes for great viewing

Anybody averaging 40+ in England deserves a medal, it’s harder than ever

Great thread by the way

Part of it in England is luck because it depends on the ball swinging. If it does Trent Bridge and Lords can be very difficult and if it doesn't they're flat as owt.

It maybe due to different circumstance in every country as conditions are different in every country and the teams don't play against each other as often as Premier League footballers do so judging one team against another is hard.

I still say T20/50over has changed batting, for top order players in Test cricket for the worse. Not so much for middle order batsmen.

I was surprised in NZ how excellent Boult and Southee were on juicy itches and the likes of Roach and Gabriel were very good in both series against England. India have a great attack in all conditions and our bowling attack is right there. When fit the Aussie quicks are also top notch with a great supporting spinner. SA with Philander, Radaba, Steyn, Maharaj as well and the Pakistan quicks who are also very impressive. In test matches batsmen can be waiting a very long time for a bad ball.

It's a good point from the OP. Could the reason be that since limited overs cricket is basically intended to be solely a batsman's game, bowlers are less fussed about it and instead have turned their focus to quality test standard bowling. At the same time, batsmen want to be able to excel in limited overs so spend less time learning how to dig in and grind out an innings, which would explain why the number of quality middle order batsmen appears to be on the increase, but high class openers are becoming less common.

It's a good point from the OP. Could the reason be that since limited overs cricket is basically intended to be solely a batsman's game, bowlers are less fussed about it and instead have turned their focus to quality test standard bowling. At the same time, batsmen want to be able to excel in limited overs so spend less time learning how to dig in and grind out an innings, which would explain why the number of quality middle order batsmen appears to be on the increase, but high class openers are becoming less common.
I just think for bowlers limited overs means less adjustment.

It's interesting though (I think so anyway) that limited overs has been good for spin bowlers. Off spinners can thrive in all formats, wrist spinners seem very effective in short form but not in 4 day and Tests (or rather the same as in former times).

Back