RR Tales From The Stands: Man Utd 3 Sunderland 2, Nov 1974 - Lads unlucky in Old Trafford...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTG

Robot
Staff member
Somewhere amongst the flared jeans and handlebar moustaches there was a game and a half to be had by Division Two titans Manchester United and Sunderland AFC, hearkens Andrew Cockburn. Time for another stroll down memory lane! There have been some stirring meetings between ourselves and Manchester United over the years. I seem to recall rather...

More at Roker Report...

Forget cocaine, big perms and WHAM! - Christmas in 1982 brought a different kind of gift to the Wearside faithful as Gary Rowell logged a hat-trick against Arsenal, remembers Andrew Cockburn, mid-way through an acid flashback. The first half of the 1982-83 season had a bit of an old, all-too-familiar look to it. For after a reasonably promising...

More at Roker Report...

Who remembers when we beat Aston Villa 2-0 at Roker Park back in 1983, with Frank Worthington getting on the scoresheet? Even if you don’t, read this - Andrew Cockburn takes us on another trip down Mackem memory lane... January of 1983 had been a bit of an up-and-down month for Sunderland AFC. It had began with a Nottingham double header, when...

More at Roker Report...

“It was a case of too little, too late for Everton as the game ended 3-1, a perfect way for us to mark our return to the big time” recalls Andrew Cockburn as he moseys down memory lane and remembers this game at Roker Park from 1980. There was an air of expectancy on Wearside in the summer of 1980 after we’d ended our latest First Division exile...

More at Roker Report...

Who remembers when we beat Fulham 2-0 at Roker Park in 1988, when an opener straight from a corner from Gordon Armstrong and a Marco Gabiaddini thunderb*stard settled the game as we marched on to Division Three glory? After enjoying a 100% record in January of 1988, February had by contrast been a bit of a barren time for Sunderland AFC as their...

More at Roker Report...

Remember when we beat Chelsea 4-1? Andrew Cockburn recalls a dominating first half against future Sunderland talisman Tore Andre Flo and doomed manager Gus Poyet, back when Pokemon cards were hot sh*t! Scintillating. And that was just the first period! When Chelsea visited the Stadium Of Light for the return Premier League fixture in December 1999...

More at Roker Report...

Remember when we beat Chelsea 4-1? Andrew Cockburn recalls a dominating first half against future Sunderland talisman Tore Andre Flo and doomed manager Gus Poyet, back when Pokemon cards were hot sh*t! Scintillating. And that was just the first period! When Chelsea visited the Stadium Of Light for the return Premier League fixture in December 1999...

More at Roker Report...

Somewhere amongst the flared jeans and handlebar moustaches there was a game and a half to be had by Division Two titans Manchester United and Sunderland AFC, hearkens Andrew Cockburn. Time for another stroll down memory lane! There have been some stirring meetings between ourselves and Manchester United over the years. I seem to recall rather...

More at Roker Report...
I remember it well, got a broken nose in the scoreboard end for my troubles

Can anyone recall if it was all ticket (unlikely in those days)

I am thinking we played them 3 times in 10 days with a League Cup match and replay. Winners played that lot up the road iirc.

More at Roker Report...
Hellish game,Was 14,went down with me Dad and his mates and about 12000 other lads and lasses.We we're the better team that day.

The game at Old Trafford certainly wasn't all ticket. Living in Kent I travelled on the 10am from Euston which at the time was the cockney reds special with hundreds of them on it. I sat amongst them on my own proudly wearing my Sunderland scarf although as it was identical to theirs nobody knew. Somehow I ended up in the Stretford End and got a good view of our lads turning up bout 2.30 in the Scoreboard End and being chased round it. I am pretty certain the return at Roker wasn't all ticket either and Utd certainly didn't bring the numbers up that they had taken to other grounds that season. Oh to be seventeen again

The game at Old Trafford certainly wasn't all ticket. Living in Kent I travelled on the 10am from Euston which at the time was the cockney reds special with hundreds of them on it. I sat amongst them on my own proudly wearing my Sunderland scarf although as it was identical to theirs nobody knew. Somehow I ended up in the Stretford End and got a good view of our lads turning up bout 2.30 in the Scoreboard End and being chased round it. I am pretty certain the return at Roker wasn't all ticket either and Utd certainly didn't bring the numbers up that they had taken to other grounds that season. Oh to be seventeen again
United were allocated the CS paddock at RP and the section near the FE was nowhere near full. Probably brought 3000 max. We took nearly 10k down there.

I am thinking we played them 3 times in 10 days with a League Cup match and replay. Winners played that lot up the road iirc.
That was 76/77 relegation season.

More at Roker Report...

Although we lost it was one of the best matches I’ve been to or seen live.
Despite being in the Stretford End :eek::rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back