Table after 22 games last year

Status
Not open for further replies.

The lack of improvment as a club since returning to the Premier League with Keane is frustrating, never mind the last 12 months. We've been shite for years, but not quite shite enough to go down.

That is one of the most disappointing things for me, especially with the amount of financial backing some of our managers have had in that time. We really should have pushed on and been a constant top 8-10 team, however we have constantly wasted money on shite and any time we looked like we may have improved we have ended up going backwards.

You can't constantly judge progress by comparing league tables from previous seasons.

But if you insist on it then I'll give you this bit of info:

If we beat Burnley then we will have 2 points less than what we had after 32 games last season. Which means that we would need one more win in our next NINE games after Burnley to be better off than we were with 6 games to go last season. We needed a miracle last season and we still finished 5 points clear of 18th. Anyone truly panicking right now is daft. Yes, if we lose to Burnley then I'd fear for Poyet a bit, but I don't think we will.

Our home fixtures from now on are about as perfect as you could possibly hope for. If other teams around us had the home fixtures we have then they'd be very confident of beating the drop. We should not be panicking right now. The next three home games are crucial, but they would be crucial regardless of where we were in the league. They are games we should be winning and we just need to get behind the team now.

There's no panic, but it's a worry that the first 22 games are up there with the worst starts since promotion, the football is as boring as it can get and we're still trying to find our 2nd home win when it's almost february. Not to mention that our star 10m signing is anonymous.

That is one of the most disappointing things for me, especially with the amount of financial backing some of our managers have had in that time. We really should have pushed on and been a constant top 8-10 team, however we have constantly wasted money on shite and any time we looked like we may have improved we have ended up going backwards.
Part of me is thankful to have been consistently in the league for so long, but theres only so long you can happily watch the same shite week in week out.

Its not great, but I dont see how we can blame Gus when his strikers miss sitters in front of goal... Its not Gus that made Graham miss the rebound, or Fletcher do whatever he tried to do for his golden chance.

Im hopeful Defoe will be the difference between relegation and survival.

You can't constantly judge progress by comparing league tables from previous seasons.

But if you insist on it then I'll give you this bit of info:

If we beat Burnley then we will have 2 points less than what we had after 32 games last season. Which means that we would need one more win in our next NINE games after Burnley to be better off than we were with 6 games to go last season. We needed a miracle last season and we still finished 5 points clear of 18th. Anyone truly panicking right now is daft. Yes, if we lose to Burnley then I'd fear for Poyet a bit, but I don't think we will.

Our home fixtures from now on are about as perfect as you could possibly hope for. If other teams around us had the home fixtures we have then they'd be very confident of beating the drop. We should not be panicking right now. The next three home games are crucial, but they would be crucial regardless of where we were in the league. They are games we should be winning and we just need to get behind the team now.
They are the games we need to win but we haven't been.
Also if we are comparing with last season we are highly unlikely to go and win at chelsea and Man Utd.
Still fancy is to win enough of these home games to stay up but not sure if that's blind faith or not.

We have won 3 games and it's nearly feb, it's not f***ing rocket science, what we have been doing has not worked

Are we worse than Aston villa?

We are bottom of the Form Table (last 10 games) - had some tough games in there mind. For me though we and Villa are the worst at the moment.

Those missed opportunities against Hull and Villa could send us down.

Last edited:
Lot of similar teams this season all very tight- I maintain we have been a decent striker from 10th this season. Bar scoring (!) I think we're playing better football than last season, it is very frustrating though that the striker issue has been there since before the Summer.

13 West Bromwich Albion 22 4 10 8 24 29 -5 22
14 Stoke City 22 5 7 10 22 36 -14 22
15 Swansea City 22 5 6 11 27 33 -6 21
16 Crystal Palace 22 6 2 14 14 31-17 20
17 Fulham 22 6 1 15 22 48 -26 19
18 West Ham United 22 4 6 12 22 33 -11 18
19 Sunderland 22 4 6 12 21 36 -15 18
20 Cardiff City 22 4 6 12 17 38 -21 18

This season
Two points better off . GD about the same
Sunderland 22 3 11 8 19 33 -14 20

Sadly little improvement

an improvement nonetheless! gerrin

We are bottom of the Form Table (last 10 games) - had some tough games in there mind. For me though we and Villa are the worst at the moment.

Those missed opportunities against Hull and Villa could send us down.

Defoe and the system change recognition Poyet has accepted will be the turning point for us, Villa seem lost.

The league is ridiculously tight. Beat Burnley and a shock win at Swansea, suddenly we are mid-table and everything is rosy.

You get most of your points at home and we've had all the top half at home (Bar Southampton)

So hopefully with our remaining home matches we get at least 4/5 wins to survive

I haven't read all of this thread, but there are some pretty critical facts -
  • after the Mags 0 - 3 game on the 1st (I think) of Feb last year we only picked up 1 point between then and the draw at Man city - I think we can expect to better that?
  • the three teams we have played twice already are Man City, Liverpool and Spurs, likely to make up 3 of the top 6 - and we don't play Chelsea until the last game of the season, meaning all but 2 (Arse & Manure away) are realistically winnable; I doubt the other teams towards the bottom have completed fixtures against teams of that joint calibre?
  • all of our home games (possibly with the exception of Southampton) are definitely winnable - I know our home form is crap, but it has to turn soon surely?
  • a lot of fans have been crying out for 3 - 5 - 2 and now we've signed Defoe it looks like it will be the formation going forward (in more ways than 1!);
  • we've signed Defoe, who could be reasonably expected to get 6 - 8 goals, particularly given we're going to 2 up top;
  • our 2 wing backs Jones and PVA have barely played together and are crucial to 3 - 5 -2 working - hopefully they'll stay fit;
  • am I stupid, or can we expect Rodwell to start to develop?
  • we are hard to beat, so all we have to do is turn half a dozen draws into wins, surely not too much to expect?
  • clearly home form will be critical - Leicester, Palace, QPR, Burnley, Villa, West Brom all to come, not unreasonable to expect at least 12 points from those matches alone is it?
I think we are better than last season - swap Catts for Rodwell and the starting XI at Spurs looks to me like a decent side, with Rodwell, Alvarez, Giacch, Wickham on the bench for impact and even without any further additions between now and the close of the window we have a better squad than most in the latter part of the table.

Or am I guilty of wishful thinking I wonder?

It's not our ability to string 2 or 3 results together that worries me but our ability to play 2 consecutive high pressure, high intensity games. After Chealsea and the Mags we looked wrung out. A huge turnaround in home form is absolutely essential. Will we do it? Probably.
I say this not because of our record, that suggests otherwise but because for one off games we seem to able to find a result. Home form will save us.
Is that home from as it is, or home form as you would like it to be. We have been sleep walking towards the championship all season, too many draws. Yet, it is the draws that have disguised the poor points return and bred a false sense of security.

Problem is, all of these e
I haven't read all of this thread, but there are some pretty critical facts -
  • after the Mags 0 - 3 game on the 1st (I think) of Feb last year we only picked up 1 point between then and the draw at Man city - I think we can expect to better that?
  • the three teams we have played twice already are Man City, Liverpool and Spurs, likely to make up 3 of the top 6 - and we don't play Chelsea until the last game of the season, meaning all but 2 (Arse & Manure away) are realistically winnable; I doubt the other teams towards the bottom have completed fixtures against teams of that joint calibre?
  • all of our home games (possibly with the exception of Southampton) are definitely winnable - I know our home form is crap, but it has to turn soon surely?
  • a lot of fans have been crying out for 3 - 5 - 2 and now we've signed Defoe it looks like it will be the formation going forward (in more ways than 1!);
  • we've signed Defoe, who could be reasonably expected to get 6 - 8 goals, particularly given we're going to 2 up top;
  • our 2 wing backs Jones and PVA have barely played together and are crucial to 3 - 5 -2 working - hopefully they'll stay fit;
  • am I stupid, or can we expect Rodwell to start to develop?
  • we are hard to beat, so all we have to do is turn half a dozen draws into wins, surely not too much to expect?
  • clearly home form will be critical - Leicester, Palace, QPR, Burnley, Villa, West Brom all to come, not unreasonable to expect at least 12 points from those matches alone is it?
I think we are better than last season - swap Catts for Rodwell and the starting XI at Spurs looks to me like a decent side, with Rodwell, Alvarez, Giacch, Wickham on the bench for impact and even without any further additions between now and the close of the window we have a better squad than most in the latter part of the table.

Or am I guilty of wishful thinking I wonder?
#Problem is we have been sussed and the more nervous Poyet gets, the further he'll sink back into his shell. If we end in the bottom three it will be real struggle to get out again. Defoe hasn't played'since October till Saturday, better hope he's shaken off his groin problems.

Last edited:
I reckon we will be safe for another season and i reckon we have a mid table team at best, we certainly are better than villa hull burnley QPR West brom and leicester, even the mags could be slipping down the table the way they are playing.

I reckon we will be safe for another season and i reckon we have a mid table team at best, we certainly are better than villa hull burnley QPR West brom and leicester, even the mags could be slipping down the table the way they are playing.
We didn't look better than Hull when we played them a couple of weeks ago. They deservedly won the game comfortably

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back