Sunniside Food Market - Saturday 24th Feb

Thanks for the feedback mate. I'll pass that on to Zenobia so they can look to improve.

The burgers are cracking mind.
Yeah, they are eat to go and take home and store.

That's the intention of the market. A bit of a hybrid between a traditional farmers market and a street food pop up.

Trying to create a bit of a destination for Sunniside and something permanent hence the once a month now.

It's always been a bit of a slow starter. Gets busy from around 11:30.

Yesterday was decent albeit not rammed. School holidays often have that impact.

ÂŁ39 mate. That covers our staffing, marketing and all of the licences we have to apply for.

It's the 4th Saturday of EVERY month.
Thank you đź‘Ť

I had a meander through yesterday before the match.
The bubble and squeak vendor was fleecing the punters for his Gyros and platters.
And the Arabic bait stall next to it wasn't much better.
The burger stall looked busy, but what the punters were getting seemed a tad pricey in exchange for the merchandise received.
The banger stall seemed to have a "special" on - 2 sausages in a bun for a fiver. :lol:

Still, if people want to part easily with their hard earned dosh for little in the way of return, then that's up to them.
Thanks for the feedback.

I can't force people to view food differently but do appreciate you coming down mate.

I've worked in the industry for close to 30 years. I've worked with farmers overseas and here in the UK, I support small businesses and brands helping them into retailers and now my work is focussed on building a local food economy, creating jobs, keeping money in North East supply chain.

I know a lot about food costing and I also know that tje impact of cheap, ultra processed food is having on public health.

3 in 10 ten to eleven year old in Sunderland are clinically obese. The culture of cheap, fast food, buy one get one frees, multi pack Asda doughnuts available outside school gates - you name it, the systems is a mess.

Part of my work is to try and influence where, in their list of priorities, food sits.

These businesses cannot compete with the muscle of big business. Cleaner, local food costs more. Simple as that really.

It's the economy of scale. If more people supported local, independent businesses would sell more in volume and be able to be competitive with price.

Personally, I'd rather be out of pocket and protecting my own local food culture than propping up nefarious big businesses HQd outside of the North East.

Had a wander yesterday, the scotch eggs looked tremendous. My mate got some weardale cheese and I got some milky bar cakes for the kids. Successfully managed to get them home in one piece after 6 pints as well.
They are really nice. Used to get the Clucking Pig ones but the Yolker are more present than them at most local markets and their Mangalorian is class.

Didn’t get there this time but bought a canny bit stuff last time.
The pickles what the lad from shields does are great n they even put some in pork pies that were on another stall n were delicious.

Think ill try a burger next time n the scotch eggs.
Didn’t get there this time but bought a canny bit stuff last time.
The pickles what the lad from shields does are great n they even put some in pork pies that were on another stall n were delicious.

Think I’ll try a burger next time n the scotch eggs.
Also tried the lad that does the ready mixed curry powders n was also absolutely delicious.

Last edited:
Areet Tight Arse.
Chomping on his happy shopper pork pie
Thanks for the feedback.

I can't force people to view food differently but do appreciate you coming down mate.

I've worked in the industry for close to 30 years. I've worked with farmers overseas and here in the UK, I support small businesses and brands helping them into retailers and now my work is focussed on building a local food economy, creating jobs, keeping money in North East supply chain.

I know a lot about food costing and I also know that tje impact of cheap, ultra processed food is having on public health.

3 in 10 ten to eleven year old in Sunderland are clinically obese. The culture of cheap, fast food, buy one get one frees, multi pack Asda doughnuts available outside school gates - you name it, the systems is a mess.

Part of my work is to try and influence where, in their list of priorities, food sits.

These businesses cannot compete with the muscle of big business. Cleaner, local food costs more. Simple as that really.

It's the economy of scale. If more people supported local, independent businesses would sell more in volume and be able to be competitive with price.

Personally, I'd rather be out of pocket and protecting my own local food culture than propping up nefarious big businesses HQd outside of the North East.
Imagine living your life knowing you can get cheaper elsewhere ,non stop . Out for the day with family ,having a nice few hours but inside you're dying knowing the scotch egg is expensive. If ,when I drop on these events its a one off and I'll grab a few items as a treat for myself .
Imagine a world of Asda and morrisons and no small independent producers.

Last edited:
Chomping on his happy shopper pork pie

Imagine living your life knowing you can get cheaper elsewhere ,non stop . Out for the day with family ,having a nice few hours but inside you're dying knowing the scotch egg is expensive. If ,when I drop on these events its a one off and I'll grab a few items as a treat for myself .
Imagine a world of Asda and morrisons and no small independent producers.
Yellow sticker and out of date no doubt.

I get my honey off the travelling bee company and they are very nice, always get the pickles but will try the scotch eggs next time , always wary with eggs but lots of good reviews so will give them a try. Love the hot bangers in bun which are very reasonably priced and they taste very nice, the giant sausage rolls to cook are a meal in themselves

Had a wander yesterday, the scotch eggs looked tremendous. My mate got some weardale cheese and I got some milky bar cakes for the kids. Successfully managed to get them home in one piece after 6 pints as well.

Which stall had the Scotch Eggs?
Theres a market which is near me once a month who do a variety of Scotch Eggs and they’re very good.

Back