Sunderland voted one of the worst cities to visit

coastal city with a passionate footy heritage and a proper history.

Can drive 20 odd minutes and be in the middle of countryside.

Other than the city centre being run down (like any fucker goes there anyways) sunderland is a really nice place imo.

Would much rather live there than newcastle or boro or gateshead. Tbh durham isnt that great a place. Its city centre is very nice but most of its villages are dreadful places to live!

Most of them will be based in the SE and think Sunderland is in Scotland.

"Sunderland has a beach? Really!!".
I was talking to a lass at work last week, she was from Cornwall. She had no idea that Sunderland had a coast never mind two fabulous sandy beaches!

It doesn’t have to necessarily be in the centre though does it-the criteria just is green spaces within the city.I just chose those two cities at random as they have no beaches-I could have said Derby and Bradford
Sunderland has some class parks. Barnes, Backhouse, Mowbray and Roker to name a few. I also bet not many for a place like Herrington Country Park and Penshaw monument

One minute it's recommended to visit, the next it's the worst. They want to make their mind up instead of using data and criteria to score it. I bet KLD loves articles like that.

Sunderland city centre is absolutely awful mind. Must be one of the ugliest centres in the uk surely?
That’s hopefully improving now after years of neglect. If you compare Keel Square area, round to the Minster and towards the Empire Theatre and the Vaux site, it’s came on leaps and bounds versus what these parts used to look like. You’ve also had a more modern looking railway station to replace the old monstrosity, and classic old buildings like the Elephant Tea Rooms restored. Obviously more needs to be done because areas like Park Lane and Holmeside are horrific, but it’s a start and at least something is being done about it.

There are an endless number of "Worst Town in the Counrty" lists. They are all over Youtube and the internet.They are all just meaningless click bait and none of them are ever the same. The Torygraph must be desperate for content to come up with one of its own.

I shouldn't be surprised if the "survey" was influenced by the Torygraph's poor sales in the city simply because it would be very careful not to disaffect its readership in places where its sold well.

Put simply it can afford to take a pop at Sunderland because its got few customers in the area and that's probably true of all the other places that it names. I can well imagine that before publication the list was vetted by the paper's sales team. It's just typical Torygraph bollocks.

Has 2 large parks in the city centre as well, not to mention Jesmond Dene etc.
It's a definitely not a concrete jungle.
It's an awful drive into Newcastle from whatever direction. Gateshead and Wallsend for example are very dreary. Newcastle itself is a heavily build up city. I find it a dreadful place to visit from both a driving perspective and a feeling to the place. I suppose it's great if your favourite colour is grey.

Give me a lovely sea front or penshaw for example as a nice backdrop to our city. Fresh air, beach and proper green space not small parks.

Like almost every city I have visited, there are good areas and shit holes and (the majority) somewhere in between.
Good, better and best is nonsense.
I like London and Manchester. The next person won’t. We are both right.
Newcastle has better shops and bars. Sunderland has a great theatre and fantastic beach. If shopping, then Newcastle will win. If wanting a nice walk then the beach wins hands-down.
Exactly

I agree with the principle, but I think your characterisation is harsh on Sunderland bars (though Newcastle has more of them) and Newcastle walks (Quayside / Ouseburn, Leazes & Exhibition parks).
I agree. I was generalising for effect.
And your comment on Leazes Park is incorrect. It’s a shit hole. Dangerous. Covered in litter and beset by druggies. To be avoided.
At least that’s what I tell anyone who asks. Cracking space that should, if there were justice, be private. Private to me and my dog!!!

Sunderland city centre is absolutely awful mind. Must be one of the ugliest centres in the uk surely?
Most city centres are shite these days. I live in Glasgow and that's gone right down hill in the last few years. Two of the main three streets are more or less derelict these days.

Sunderland has some class parks. Barnes, Backhouse, Mowbray and Roker to name a few. I also bet not many for a place like Herrington Country Park and Penshaw monument
Whilst I love the place, and use the space regularly, I am not sure you could really class Herrington Park as ‘in Sunderland’ for the requirements of this debate, albeit nonsense article.
Might try a park, rather than beach next time, for His Grace’s weekend stroll. Which would be recommended then?

A colleague in London said to me - I m up near your place next week - we can meet up for a pint .

He was going to Leeds - I live in Preston.
It's only 4/5 years ago that the Arsenal ladies team complained to the FA about having to travel "all the way to Sunderland" for a cup tie

Anyone who uses a best / worst list to base their decision on where to visit is a knacker tbh 😂
Whilst I love the place, and use the space regularly, I am not sure you could really class Herrington Park as ‘in Sunderland’ for the requirements of this debate, albeit nonsense article.
Might try a park, rather than beach next time, for His Grace’s weekend stroll. Which would be recommended then?
At least it’s in Sunderland.

😉

Last edited:
City centre is pretty shite like
But this line alone man 🤣

Sunderland has been named by The Telegraph as one of the worst cities to visit in the country based on a scientific study with 25 criteria in four categories- transport, culture and heritage, and green spaces.

Scientific study, so in other words some helmet with spreadsheets
If it truly did rely on green space as a criteria, then Sunderland would be top 10 as it has more square metres of green space per capita than any other city in the UK. Nearly 50% of the city is green space.

Herrington park is about a mile and a half West of the A19. In pretty much all directions into Sunderland it's pleasant driving. As above and anywhere from the West it's all green belt. From the south either the coast from Seaham or A19 both through countryside. From the North either the coast through Whitburn or A19 through again largely countryside in-between the Boldon's and the outskirts of town.

It couldn't be much different to Tyneside which is an urban sprawl with awful congestion.

That’s hopefully improving now after years of neglect. If you compare Keel Square area, round to the Minster and towards the Empire Theatre and the Vaux site, it’s came on leaps and bounds versus what these parts used to look like. You’ve also had a more modern looking railway station to replace the old monstrosity, and classic old buildings like the Elephant Tea Rooms restored. Obviously more needs to be done because areas like Park Lane and Holmeside are horrific, but it’s a start and at least something is being done about it.
With the film studios, the increase in battery production facilities and the upward performance of the University this stupid list will be irrelevant soon. Sunderland is a city with an exiting future. That can’t be said for many of the moribund cities further South

Back