Sunderland voted one of the worst cities to visit

Durham city is a much a nicer place like, Newcastle has the shops but it's a dump
In parts yes like most cities, same as Sunderland but it’s not a dump.

Newcastle is probably more extreme in terms of great areas to absolute shit tips compared to Sunderland.

I can drive 5 minutes from my house and be in cowgate and drive 5 minutes and be in some of the most expensive postcodes in the NE

Newcastle is probably more extreme in terms of great areas to absolute shit tips compared to Sunderland.

I can drive 5 minutes from my house and be in cowgate and drive 5 minutes and be in some of the most expensive postcodes in the NE
There’s loads more to do in Newcastle than Durham imo.
Mind you, I like Sunderland, Durham and Newcastle - all good cities imo. All this “best/worst” stuff is childish nonsense

Mind you, I like Sunderland, Durham and Newcastle - all good cities imo. All this “best/worst” stuff is childish nonsense
Agreed.

The NE is absolutely tiny but you can be anywhere within 30-45 minutes

No the city centre itself, was there not so long ago and couldn't believe how minging it was, just dirty overloaded bins etc. wasn't even a weekend

Like almost every city I have visited, there are good areas and shit holes and (the majority) somewhere in between.
Good, better and best is nonsense.
I like London and Manchester. The next person won’t. We are both right.
Newcastle has better shops and bars. Sunderland has a great theatre and fantastic beach. If shopping, then Newcastle will win. If wanting a nice walk then the beach wins hands-down.

Unless beaches are considered part of green spaces,then Sunderland is immediately at a disadvantage as it’s one of only a few cities which has them.There’s not such a need for green spaces when you have a couple of miles of beach on your doorstep.

Last edited:
Unless beaches are considered part of green spaces,then Sunderland is immediately at a disadvantage as it’s one of only a few cities which has them.There’s not such a need for green spaces when you have a couple of miles of beach on your doorstep.
As someone who has recently moved up to the North East, you are comparing 3 distinctly different places in Ncle, Durham & Sunderland.
It's not like rating Leeds vs Liverpool vs Manchester.
Newcastle is the regional centre with the biggest and best City centre shopping and landmark buildings (everyone knows the Tyne Bridge). Some great music venues such as the Boiler Shop and The Cluny. Also, Leazes Park is a hidden gem.
Gateshead is so close as well, with The Glasshouse having the regional advantage for certain types of arts events.
Durham is a unknown place to most people, but the Cathedral and riverside walk are great. Think the pubs and eating places to me, are not outstanding though ?
But, Sunderland is unique to cities/big towns of a similar size. The Empire is a superb theatre with great pubs (Isis, Peacock & Dun Cow) nearby. The Fire Station is also a special Arts venue with a great variety.
Add the Roker Riviera (which not many tourists know about) and you have a cracking city with open, friendly people and a different atmosphere to most places I've worked in or visited in Britain. Mowbray Park is also a fantastic green space to relax.
You should be proud of your region...

As someone who has recently moved up to the North East, you are comparing 3 distinctly different places in Ncle, Durham & Sunderland.
It's not like rating Leeds vs Liverpool vs Manchester.
Newcastle is the regional centre with the biggest and best City centre shopping and landmark buildings (everyone knows the Tyne Bridge). Some great music venues such as the Boiler Shop and The Cluny. Also, Leazes Park is a hidden gem.
Gateshead is so close as well, with The Glasshouse having the regional advantage for certain types of arts events.
Durham is a unknown place to most people, but the Cathedral and riverside walk are great. Think the pubs and eating places to me, are not outstanding though ?
But, Sunderland is unique to cities/big towns of a similar size. The Empire is a superb theatre with great pubs (Isis, Peacock & Dun Cow) nearby. The Fire Station is also a special Arts venue with a great variety.
Add the Roker Riviera (which not many tourists know about) and you have a cracking city with open, friendly people and a different atmosphere to most places I've worked in or visited in Britain. Mowbray Park is also a fantastic green space to relax.
You should be proud of your region...
My point was one of the criteria apparently was green spaces so if you compare Sunderland to say Nottingham or Sheffield it probably would not score as well in that regard.But obviously Nottingham and Sheffield don’t have great beaches unlike Sunderland so therefore the city is at a disadvantage( unless they have counted beaches in with green spaces)🤔

Like almost every city I have visited, there are good areas and shit holes and (the majority) somewhere in between.
Good, better and best is nonsense.
I like London and Manchester. The next person won’t. We are both right.
Newcastle has better shops and bars. Sunderland has a great theatre and fantastic beach. If shopping, then Newcastle will win. If wanting a nice walk then the beach wins hands-down.
I agree with the principle, but I think your characterisation is harsh on Sunderland bars (though Newcastle has more of them) and Newcastle walks (Quayside / Ouseburn, Leazes & Exhibition parks).

Back