Sunderland to Edinburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

spitfire

Striker
Right then. Fancying a blast up to Edinburgh on Monday with my missus (she has never been to Scotland) and can't decide whether to get the train or drive. Looking at the travelling time, I cant imagine there is a lot in it, and as for the costs well we are looking at a return for around 80 quid for the 2 of us, which i suppose is a little bit more expensive than the cost in petrol even though this isn't an issue.
My question is, if we drive what is it like to park up there? Should we use the park and ride or try and park somewhere near the centre? Fancy a blast up the A1 on the way then a nice leisurely drive back down the A68 on the way back on the evening.
Any advice anyone?

Right then. Fancying a blast up to Edinburgh on Monday with my missus (she has never been to Scotland) and can't decide whether to get the train or drive. Looking at the travelling time, I cant imagine there is a lot in it, and as for the costs well we are looking at a return for around 80 quid for the 2 of us, which i suppose is a little bit more expensive than the cost in petrol even though this isn't an issue.
My question is, if we drive what is it like to park up there? Should we use the park and ride or try and park somewhere near the centre? Fancy a blast up the A1 on the way then a nice leisurely drive back down the A68 on the way back on the evening.
Any advice anyone?

Just get the train and relax mate, you can have a drink too that way. Class city is Edinboro like!

The train's always best like, think you need to change at Glasgow to/from Queens to Central.

The National Express isn't bad either. For owt else up there, the City Link buses are cracking and good value.

EDIT: Beg pardon, got Glasgow and Edinburgh mixed up, you can get a train straight up.

Personally I'd go somewhere a bit less city-ish like. ;)

Any advice anyone?

You'll do it in 2.5 hrs mate. I've got parked up there before around Waverley train station and that was during the festival. The jazz and blues festival is on at the minute wish I was there. I'm off up to the fringe with the bairns in august.

£80 return for both of you on the train this late on is bloody good though. Lovely train ride up. I think if its just you and your missus I'd be inclined to get the train.

I'm driving up but thats only cos I've got the kids and secure parking at my digs

Get the train, mate. Done it for my 40th and had the best weekend ever. Glass of wine on the train beats trying to hold it and a steering wheel. Get yourself to the Witchery or the place at the top of the museum. Did both and it was great.

If going by car, castle view ncp is the best place to park... Suggest coming back down the A697 myself (more fun).

Personally, I'd take the train for time & convenience (its about the same cost as a tank of petrol + parking).

Get the train, mate. Done it for my 40th and had the best weekend ever. Glass of wine on the train beats trying to hold it and a steering wheel. Get yourself to the Witchery or the place at the top of the museum. Did both and it was great.

last time in the witchery was a little disappointing annoyingly. did the museum for my graduation and it was excellent.

the kitchin is f***ing excellent.

Allow for extra traffic on the roads because of the school holidays - it'd be a no brainer for me - get the train.

last time in the witchery was a little disappointing annoyingly. did the museum for my graduation and it was excellent.

the kitchin is f***ing excellent.
It is very good. However, think you would like this: In a curry house and there is a birthday party in. They ask me if I am here for the rugby. Had a laugh and said would like to be but it is my 40th today. It was that bloke's anarl. Bought the lad a very large whisky and we had a reet laugh. Canny madras anarl.

It is very good. However, think you would like this: In a curry house and there is a birthday party in. They ask me if I am here for the rugby. Had a laugh and said would like to be but it is my 40th today. It was that bloke's anarl. Bought the lad a very large whisky and we had a reet laugh. Canny madras anarl.
I'm 40 marra, today. can I have a whisky?

I'm 40 marra, today. can I have a whisky?
Only if we are in a city I love and there is rugby on the next day!! Happy birthday me marra. Enjoy it. Only 40 once. Wish I could remember the comedy club. Remember getting destroyed and the bloke telling me to shut the fuck up. Only said 'he was great and took no prisoners'. Lass from south shields came and talked to us at some point, don't know how that happened, or getting back to the hotel for that matter. However, I was 40 and getting spannered.

Only if we are in a city I love and there is rugby on the next day!! Happy birthday me marra. Enjoy it. Only 40 once. Wish I could remember the comedy club. Remember getting destroyed and the bloke telling me to shut the fuck up. Only said 'he was great and took no prisoners'. Lass from south shields came and talked to us at some point, don't know how that happened, or getting back to the hotel for that matter. However, I was 40 and getting spannered.
I'm not actually 40 mate I was just after a free whisky. sorry :-( I like free booze you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back