Sunderland till I die Season 2

Methven co
Just finished the series, thought it was a lot more interesting than series one. Struggled with episode 5, hard to watch knowing what was coming...

SD comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke. With the right financial support, I’d still trust him to make decisions in the best interests of the club. That ship has probably sailed now, but I’d like him to stay.

Methven is just empathy away from being a good leader. Sadly, without it, he can’t take people with him. I didn’t disagree with most of what he said, but you can see the shutters coming down because of his style. Shame. That said, What they described as our ’middle management’ shouldn’t have management anywere near their job titles or roles - not capable based on what was shown to inspire or lead their teams beneath them. Staffed like a social club, not a multi-million pound business.
Methven could see through those at the club who had presided over our downfall from a the non playing side of things and wanted to bring massive change to the way things were being run. He had to do it quickly as we couldn't afford to pussy foot around (literally couldn't afford it).

I tended to agree with him in most of what he said. I am only up to episode 3 and was glad to see the negative woman leave at the end. She was trying to undermine him from early on and the half time talk highlighted that for me. He told her to make something happen she refused to push her staff to get the job done and dismissed his instruction which is why he reacted as he did.

My opinion about both of them has changed slightly since watch season 2. I think they came in wanting to sort us out and genuinely wanting to engage with the fans. Maja going was the turning point and signalled the beginning of the end when Grigg was the replacement. Such a shame how things turned to relative shit after that January window.

Methven co
Methven could see through those at the club who had presided over our downfall from a the non playing side of things and wanted to bring massive change to the way things were being run. He had to do it quickly as we couldn't afford to pussy foot around (literally couldn't afford it).

I tended to agree with him in most of what he said. I am only up to episode 3 and was glad to see the negative woman leave at the end. She was trying to undermine him from early on and the half time talk highlighted that for me. He told her to make something happen she refused to push her staff to get the job done and dismissed his instruction which is why he reacted as he did.

My opinion about both of them has changed slightly since watch season 2. I think they came in wanting to sort us out and genuinely wanting to engage with the fans. Maja going was the turning point and signalled the beginning of the end when Grigg was the replacement. Such a shame how things turned to relative shit after that January window.

The culture of over reliance of Short was there because Short just bailed us out financially at the end of each month through his period at the club. It wouldn't take a genius for the next person to come in and spot that :lol: Methven spotted that, spent a few months trying to change a culture his abrasive way and fucked off when it didn't work. How he is getting praised is beyond me. Simple people are a little bit overawed by people who speak well and sound as if they know what they talk about. Methven f***ing off after he had barely got his feet under the table tells you all you need to know.

The culture of over reliance of Short was there because Short just bailed us out financially at the end of each month through his period at the club. It wouldn't take a genius for the next person to come in and spot that :lol: Methven spotted that, spent a few months trying to change a culture his abrasive way and fucked off when it didn't work. How he is getting praised is beyond me. Simple people are a little bit overawed by people who speak well and sound as if they know what they talk about. Methven f***ing off after he had barely got his feet under the table tells you all you need to know.

Exactly. People making out that methvens ability to point out that we were unsustainable financially is unique. Me ganny could have pointed that out.

I've asked about 50 times on this thread and yet to even have someone reply to me. What did he actaully do? What progress did he drive ? What creative ideas and success did he deliver? What sets him apart from any other tom dick or harry with an expensive education and a fancy watch? Fuck all is the answer
Methven co

Wanting to sort us out, and actaully sorting us out are two completey different things. Everyone wants to see us succeed, especially the owners of the club. The fact we have went backwards under thier ownership should be alarming to us and not worthy of praise, yet people are tripping over themselves to sympathise with these blokes, who have done fuck all for SAFC that any other random person with a few quid could have done.

Last edited:

This 100%.

Methven and Donald talked a good game, but never has the phrase all fart and nee shite been more applicable.

Exactly. People making out that methvens ability to point out that we were unsustainable financially is unique. Me ganny could have pointed that out.

I've asked about 50 times on this thread and yet to even have someone reply to me. What did he actaully do? What progress did he drive ? What creative ideas and success did he deliver? What sets him apart from any other tom dick or harry with an expensive education and a fancy watch? Fuck all is the answer

Wanting to sort us out, and actaully sorting us out are two completey different things. Everyone wants to see us succeed, especially the owners of the club. The fact we have went backwards under thier ownership should be alarming to us and not worthy of praise, yet people are tripping over themselves to sympathise with these blokes, who have done fuck all for SAFC that any other random person with a few quid could have done.

When Methven walked through the door and spoke at his first presser he impressed people. I get that. He was quite an open book and people liked that (I get that also) He recognised that there was an apathetic culture on the back of having a previous chairman with deep pockets (nee shit sherlock). He had to try and do something about it and went about shaking a few trees (fair enough if that's his management style) then he ran away. I'm not sure what more there is to say. He was only at the club a year and showed absolutely no stomach for the fight. Complete charlatan IMO.

The way Methven spoke to that lass on the touchline about the attendance man, wish someone had heard, ran over and stuck a nut on the slimy fucker.

I have to say Donald comes accross as thoroughly decent as well like, feel a bit sorry for him.

He showed a bit of drive and ambition that, based on the evidence of the series (and the previous 10 years) nobody else had matched.

As I said earlier, he lacks empathy and only a handful of people go on to do great things without it. Those people tend to be brilliant, which he isn’t.

His frustration with those who didn’t want to change pace was completely understandable though. People raging on here about the way he spoke on Boxing Day half time are completely missing the passive aggressive way he was spoken to.I’d have done my nut at them too, regardless of their sex.

He wasn’t the messiah. At least he had a bit of fight in him though.

Last edited:
has he actually fucked off though? All a bit confusing and vague imo

When Methven walked through the door and spoke at his first presser he impressed people. I get that. He was quite an open book and people liked that (I get that also) He recognised that there was an apathetic culture on the back of having a previous chairman with deep pockets (nee shit sherlock). He had to try and do something about it and went about shaking a few trees (fair enough if that's his management style) then he ran away. I'm not sure what more there is to say. He was only at the club a year and showed absolutely no stomach for the fight. Complete charlatan IMO.
Hold on a second , they said from the start that they would stay as long as the fans wanted them. Didn’t all of the major fans groups get together and basically told them to fuck off . Little wonder they decided they had had enough.

He showed he cared, he showed he had passion and knew what was wrong with the club.

That describes most of us. If I took over the club I would done the same. I have some great ideas and I think people on here would have the same ideas as me. BUT delivering them is another thing. Actions speak louder than words. People are praising Methven and want him back. I don't because I think he talked a good game but he failed. People nowadays are taking in by imagine.

Hold on a second , they said from the start that they would stay as long as the fans wanted them. Didn’t all of the major fans groups get together and basically told them to fuck off . Little wonder they decided they had had enough.

Which is a pathetic stance because fans at any club some fans will want the owners one minute and not the next depending on a handful of results? It goes with the territory. Their close association and over reliance on handful of fans was pathetic as was their lack of backbone when the going got tough. If a condition of any owner of any club is to have unconditional fan support they are in the wrong job FFS :lol:

Just finished the series, thought it was a lot more interesting than series one. Struggled with episode 5, hard to watch knowing what was coming...

SD comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke. With the right financial support, I’d still trust him to make decisions in the best interests of the club. That ship has probably sailed now, but I’d like him to stay.

Methven is just empathy away from being a good leader. Sadly, without it, he can’t take people with him. I didn’t disagree with most of what he said, but you can see the shutters coming down because of his style. Shame. That said, What they described as our ’middle management’ shouldn’t have management anywere near their job titles or roles - not capable based on what was shown to inspire or lead their teams beneath them. Staffed like a social club, not a multi-million pound business.
I don't think CM was that harsh with the staff considering the conditions. Do people believe Daniel Levy is charming his way into meetings and is loved by anyone in the staff?!

As for trusting Donald...I was unsure if he's the right man, but after STID 2 I am 100% sure he needs to go, that wasn't a capable owner getting us back where we belong, that was a small time businessman who jumped from a 6th tier club to a huge club and he's out of his depth in every way possible.

Methven threw his toys out of the pram a long time before that. He was questioned before the home game against Pompey were he said "the fans have unrealistic expectations". After the playoff final when someone said we shouldn't be in League One he had a go at the fans. Accused fans who weren't happy and criticizing the club of being part of a "cabal" to destroy the club. When questioned about clubs underperformance he described us as "the Sunderland disease" and said that "Northerners are undoubtedly uneducated when it comes to business". This was all before the fan groups opened their mouths.

FFS, as I said about a bastard million years ago, I have no Idea why Bain was being paid, he was there to cut costs and couldnt do it, I could have done the cutting cost job, for £50k a year. CM has, but, looks like he disengaged the staff, and cut costs in areas which have ultimately fucked us, scouting being the main one. And he certainly made sure it was all about him

Perfectly put. I was taken in by it all, and they bought themselves at least a year of unconditional support, even through the ultimate failure of non-promotion, they still had our total support. They deserved that, upto that point. They had grafted and clearly tried hard, but they ultimately weren't as smart as they thought they were and as progressive as they made out they were to fans. Roll forward another 6 months after the play off final, and we were 15th in the league, without a win or a shot on a target in about 3 months, as a result of thier decisions, and they were utterly helpless to stop it until january. Roll forward to february, and they addressed our striker problem with kyle lafferty, a solid attendee of the piss taking party, who has barely warranted a game. Again, the proof is in the pudding. Nice enough blokes, but simply not good enough at thier jobs to even get SAFC out of League 1.

But, as it typical with our fans, we just accept any old shite.
FFS, as I said about a bastard million years ago, I have no Idea why Bain was being paid, he was there to cut costs and couldnt do it, I could have done the cutting cost job, for £50k a year. CM has, but, looks like he disengaged the staff, and cut costs in areas which have ultimately fucked us, scouting being the main one. And he certainly made sure it was all about him

They has the excuse of the previous regime for about a year. After that it doesn't fly anymore. Look at the evidence- worst ever season overall performance upto now, scouting somehow worse than it was before, transfer business absolutely atrocious, academy being stripped bare, youth teams and u23s getting tonked every week without a win all season between them, players eating McDonalds at motorway service stations, endless tittle tattle 'statements ' tennis with fans groups,. They inherited a shambles of a club, and havent improved it in anyway

Last edited:
Which is a pathetic stance because fans at any club some fans will want the owners one minute and not the next depending on a handful of results? It goes with the territory. Their close association and over reliance on handful of fans was pathetic as was their lack of backbone when the going got tough. If a condition of any owner of any club is to have unconditional fan support they are in the wrong job FFS :lol:
I totally agree that they should man up and see this through but unfortunately they seem to have lost the majority of the fans after the takeover fell through.
Having said that , it was obvious to me that they actually cared about the project and I honestly wished it had worked out for them .

Back