Sunderland - The Jewel in the Cap (1988-1993)

• Thread starter Deleted member 13178
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Just surfaced on Youtube, Channel 4 documentary filmed from 1988-93. Great viewing.

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part One (1988/90)

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part Two (1990/91)

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part Three (1991/92)

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part Four (1992/93)
https://youtu.be/OGAv5jnCHYA
Fascinating stuff. Surprised I'd never heard of it before.

Just surfaced on Youtube, Channel 4 documentary filmed from 1988-93. Great viewing.

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part One (1988/90)

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part Two (1990/91)

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part Three (1991/92)

Sunderland: The Jewel in the Cap - Part Four (1992/93)
https://youtu.be/OGAv5jnCHYA
Bumping this because I want to watch it later and I don't want it to disappear into the ether.

My dad his brother and his father worked the yards all their lives.
Most of his mates likewise.
He got deafness from working alongside caulkers and riveters.
He got severe lower back pain that developed into sciatica from welding in double bottoms and other small enclosed spaces.
He was exempt from conscription in ww2 because of his trade and the industry he worked in, but he still joined up to get away from the dirt, grime, monotony, the noise, the danger and in winter the biting cold .
Those of you that have romantic notions of the 'halcyon days and lifestyle' of the yards make me laugh.
In peace as in war people from places like sunderland were always regarded as the equivalent of cannon fodder and shipyard work was exactly that.

Just finished watching all four instalments and it is well worth taking the time out to watch them.
Captures the time perfectly, hopes, dreams and despair. To a certain extent you can see parallels with things that are happening now.
Very interesting to see what was planned and what has come to fruition.
I think a follow up documentary would be fascinating as well.

My dad his brother and his father worked the yards all their lives.
Most of his mates likewise.
He got deafness from working alongside caulkers and riveters.
He got severe lower back pain that developed into sciatica from welding in double bottoms and other small enclosed spaces.
He was exempt from conscription in ww2 because of his trade and the industry he worked in, but he still joined up to get away from the dirt, grime, monotony, the noise, the danger and in winter the biting cold .
Those of you that have romantic notions of the 'halcyon days and lifestyle' of the yards make me laugh.
In peace as in war people from places like sunderland were always regarded as the equivalent of cannon fodder and shipyard work was exactly that.
So are you proud or ashamed of your heritage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back