Sunderland Steam Spectacular

Status
Not open for further replies.

jet1

Midfield
Anyone else planning on heading down to Penshaw tomorrow with their camera's to take some shots? ...Apparently the exhibits will include vintage cars, motorcycles, steam engines, fairground organs etc. etc.

I've decided to take some of my old film camera's along for a change having cleaned them up and fitted new batteries and bought some Fuji 200 colour film ...so it's a first look out in years for my Canon Ftb, Olympus Trip and my Canon A1 (my DSLR will also be taken as back up!) Hope the weather stays good.

Anyone else still using their old SLR's these days?

I do (Nikon F2, F100) plus a variety of medium format film cameras too. One or two others on here do also. Top tip for cheap film: get yourself to Poundland and buy their Agfa Vista 200. It's the same film as Fuji C200, and it costs (obviously) £1 a roll. It's reasonable stuff, though not quite up to the standard of the top colour films like Ektar or Portra, or Fuji's pro films. And still on the cheap, find a branch of Asda that will process your colour films for £2 (no prints) and scan the negs onto a CD for an additional £1 (they'll even put 2 or 3 rolls onto the CD for your quid, ie you can get 3 rolls processed and scanned for £7). This also works for the C41 B&W films like Ilford XP2 or the Kodak/Fuji equivalents.

..Thanks for the info ....my local Tesco's photo dept (Durham) is now a Max Speilmann franchise and their prices are very much what Asda are charging.

Who still processes 120 film though?

..Thanks for the info ....my local Tesco's photo dept (Durham) is now a Max Speilmann franchise and their prices are very much what Asda are charging.

Who still processes 120 film though?
Positive or neg?

Actually, the Asda in Gosforth will process my rolls of 120 film (C41 only), though they won't do anything else with them (scan or print), again for £2 a pop. Helps that the lads working in there seem to know what they're doing - most of these photo shops in supermarkets are run by people who don't even know what film is. However, even still, I'd be reluctant to trust them to process anything important.

For everything else, I usually send my films away for processing, either to AG Photographic or Peak Imaging. Digitalab in Byker are probably the best local place to go and also do a good job. If you're shooting slide film or traditional B&W you need to go somewhere like this.

At some point soon I'm going to start processing my own B&W - easy enough to do in the bathroom (don't need a darkroom for processing, only for traditional printing) and much cheaper than getting it done commercially.

...A quick update re 35mm film ... Poundland in Dragonville/Gilesgate in Durham didn't have any in (and said they hadn't for years!?) The Poundland in The Arnison Centre Pity Me however have the aforementioned Agfa Vista Plus 200 in stock priced at ...erm' a pound a roll actually! :oops::)

I actually once bought a 'brick' (10 rolls in cellophane) of it for £1 in the Sunderland branch...dozy assistant didn't click on. However it didn't work the second time I tried.

Recent stocks have all been 24 exp rather than the original 36 exp rolls they had, but it's still a massive bargain.

...A quick update re 35mm film ... Poundland in Dragonville/Gilesgate in Durham didn't have any in (and said they hadn't for years!?) The Poundland in The Arnison Centre Pity Me however have the aforementioned Agfa Vista Plus 200 in stock priced at ...erm' a pound a roll actually! :oops::)

...Another update ....Poundland in the Milburngate Centre in Durham have the Agfa film in stock and the Asda store in the Arnison Centre Pity Me currently has 3 rolls of Fuji C200 24 exp in a tri pack for £3.......:)

It's about to get better mate....

Apparently some Poundland shops are now stocking the 400 speed Agfa film, which is reputed to be the same emulsion as Fuji Superia X-tra 400, which is a very decent film indeed, more modern and better grain/colours than the 200 stuff.

Have found none myself so far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back