Sunderland railway station.

Appreciate that the original station was in that location but just quite a hike compared to now to get out of the station ie to travel across the full length of the platform and then Effectively through the full length of the Poundland/Littlewoods Building. They would have to somehow take control of the existing north station and Bon marche buildings and try and work out the various levels as sure as there is a reasonable level difference between HSW and market square.

It's a minor consideration having to walk a long platform compared to having a proper entrance in High Street. Originally there was only the north entrance and the south entrance was only added as an afterthought later. I think the second south entrance only lasted about 12 years before the current south entrance was built so it was a bit of a waste of money really.
According to the elevation tool on Google Earth pro the height difference between HSW and the market square is - 3 feet and the south entrance - 7 feet, nothing significant.

No they havent'. You've tried and failed. Your one of only a few being negative over this. We'd all love the station to be moved up the line a little and be 6 or 10 platforms. However this would cost billions and is unlikely ever to happen. Durham, a historic city on the ECM has only 2 platforms and a station outside their centre. We're getting part one of a plan which would transform a large section of our city. For the first time in my memory the council seem to have a plan of joined up thinking. They're linking this overall station redevelopment to work going on on high street west and Vaux which in turn links sunniside to the theature and "cultural area" as they call it.

We're not getting what we'd build if we were playing sim city but we're getting sustainable improvement which is much needed. All you seem to want to do is do everything down and threaten to bookmark and bump this thread if grand central terminal isn't build in 6 weeks. The fact is they've promised work will start in next few weeks and that current structure is coming down. Thats a huge step. Shame on you if you don't want better for Sunderland.
Nobody has sad they want 6 or 10 platforms. You’ve been sussed

Durham doesn’t have shitty metro trains sharing the line
Build it and they still won't come.
This

Last edited:
Nobody has sad they want 6 or 10 platforms. You’ve been sussed

Durham doesn’t have shitty metro trains sharing the line

This
Nobody but you havde attacked me on this thread I;d say its you that sussed to be honest. Durham has no metro link and is on ECM so you'd expect more platforms not less. We'll have a great station once work on both entrances and the track are complete but its not going to happen overnight. Your starting to embarrase yourself.

Nobody but you havde attacked me on this thread I;d say its you that sussed to be honest. Durham has no metro link and is on ECM so you'd expect more platforms not less. We'll have a great station once work on both entrances and the track are complete but its not going to happen overnight. Your starting to embarrase yourself.
Hes a WUM, just ignore

You’ve told lies time and time again, the truth will always come out eventually. The truth is this is a really minor news story, about some updates to a train station barely anyone uses.
Stunk of piss apparently.
This
Hes a WUM, just ignore
Ah right, that’s your answer to a debate you have no real answers to
You're a sad bloke, it must be said.
Yeah. I’m sad that I want better for the city that I live in.

Last edited:
You’ve told lies time and time again, the truth will always come out eventually. The truth is this is a really minor news story, about some updates to a train station barely anyone uses.

This

Ah right, that’s your answer to a debate you have no real answers to

Yeah. I’m sad that I want better for the city that I live in.
It's true though

Some good updates regarding timescales there:

6-year programme = north/south entrances + extra platform + car park
Network Rail contract with BAM - October 2021
South entrance closure - December 2021
Demolition of south entrance - December 2021
Completion and open to the public - March 2023
North entrance construction - April 2023 (subject to funding) (will include commercial space)
Extra platform/underground works - mid-2025

That roof - the pigeons will be in having a great time.

It’s an enclosed glass box isn’t it? Why would pigeons be inside? they’d have to fly through a door like any or most buildings, or even through the railway tunnel, up the stairs and into the space. The structure really isnt much different to some leisure schemes or any industrial warehouses.

Ok they might get in from time to time but can’t see them being settled in there. If it becomes an issue there are many ways to stop birds nesting or sitting on the structure.

Back