Sunderland music thread

Never been many electronic acts from Sunderland has there really? It's as if the city is still stuck in the 1970s.
Strange isn't it, the musical culture coming out of the city has generally been rock/punk, with I suppose a couple of individuals like Dave Stewart bucking the trend.

Actually, and this is a bit obscure, admittedly, but one of the members of Opus III (sure they were on ToTP once), Nigel Walton, was from Sunderland (went on to be a producer IIRC): Opus III (band) - Wikipedia. They could be described as electronic but not exactly major. As it happens, his daughter Jennifer Walton (also born in Sunderland I believe) is part of Kero Kero Bonito (I think that would be called pop maybe, but definitely have an electronic element) and they are (were?) pretty big, have been on international tours IIRC. Neither of them have anything to do with the Sunderland music scene though IIRC, even though born here. Maybe Nigel did when he was young.

I dare say there will be a few other examples like that knocking around, but not many obvious ones.

Last edited:
Strange isn't it, the musical culture coming out of the city has generally been rock/punk, with I suppose a couple of individuals like Dave Stewart bucking the trend.

Actually, and this is a bit obscure, admittedly, but one of the members of Opus III (sure they were on ToTP once), Nigel Walton, was from Sunderland (went on to be a producer IIRC): Opus III (band) - Wikipedia. They could be described as electronic but not exactly major. As it happens, his daughter Jennifer Walton (also born in Sunderland I believe) is part of Kero Kero Bonito (I think that would be called pop maybe, but definitely have an electronic element) and they are (were?) pretty big, have been on international tours IIRC. Neither of them have anything to do with the Sunderland music scene though IIRC, even though born here. Maybe Nigel did when he was young.

I dare say there will be a few other examples like that knocking around, but not many obvious ones.
I can certainly remember them. Their previous guise was A.S.K. and I can remember having a conversation with one of them about Electribe 101 in Chambers years ago :)

I can also remember having another er chemical-induced conversation with someone called Mick in Chambers who was a lot older than us but he said he had an 808 and his group supported Yazoo years ago. Anyone know who I'm on about?

Last edited:
I can certainly remember them. Their previous guise was A.S.K. and I can remember having a conversation with one of them about Electribe 101 in Chambers years ago :)

I can also remember having another er chemical-induced conversation with someone called Mick in Chambers who was a lot older than us but he said he had an 808 and his group supported Yazoo years ago. Anyone know who I'm on about?
That's them. I suppose it would be hard for a group like that to knock around Sunderland building a following. They'd probably need to be in London or at least a bigger city. Whereas a guitar-based band can probably get small gigs in pubs, support slightly bigger bands and build a fanbase etc much more easily in a provincial town.

Were Opus III the ones that had the young shaven headed lass singing ?

Live this evening.

5.30 Hank and the Hotdogs at the Peacock @hank williams

7:00 Diamond Dogs at the Live Lounge

9:00 The Grumpies at the Stumble Inn

9:30 Godzz of War at Victors

But the best show in town tonight will be the Brit Pack at the Mountain Daisy.

@mux

Last edited:

Mark Brydon out of Moloko is from Sunderland.Also was in Krush,who brought out the brilliant House Arrest.Again though,moved away to seek his fame

Back