Sunderland murders

he was on a dfds ferry where someone disappeared the thought was he tossed them over the side,sentenced in 2004 to serve a minimum of 14 years,could be out walking the streets now.[/QUOTE]

Never saw that. What happened? Did he throw him off the bridge? That's awful. As it was in 2004 he's probably out now!

He was on his way back home from the town on a saturday night pissed, this other bloke had apparently had an argument with his wife and went to the bridge contemplating suicide but like someone has already said he was being questioned a week earlier regarding someone being thrown off the DFDS ferry, so he was probably there looking to throw someone off the bridge from the start i think.

Last edited:
He was on his way back home from the town on a saturday night pissed, this other bloke had apparently had an argument with his wife and went to the bridge contemplating suicide but like someone has already said he was being questioned a week earlier regarding someone being thrown off the DFDS ferry, so he was probably there looking to throw someone off the bridge from the start i think.
f***ing hell. That's grim. Poor lad.

Not committed in Sunderland, but I remember PC Keith Blakelock, who was murdered by a mob of about 50 people in the Broadwater Farm riots in the 80's, was reported at the time as being from Sunderland.

The ever-charming leader of Haringey Council back then, Bernie Grant, boasted about it, saying the police got what they deserved, "a bloody good hiding."

Winston Silcott was convicted of his murder but was released on appeal.

There was a couple of young kids from Sunderland ( Southwick ? ) found dead between Red House and West Boldon about 45 years ago .

Cant remember the full details of the case though , but just found this.

We lived up Downhill when this happened and I can remember the Police coming round the houses..we were always mucking about on the farmers fields and up by Boldon Golf Course..i can remember me Mam and Dad telling us we had stay away from up there when all this was going on..awful like.

Which one's stand out to you?

Strange thread i know but this lad was in my year at school, and it was on my mind today for some reason.

John Chipp was a friend of some friends. I wasn't great mates with him or owt, but we'd play footy with the same group and mixed with the same crowds on nights out. Scary to think that plenty of us had walked home the same way loads of times.

He was missing for a while before what had happened came to light. Weldon told a friend who went to the police. A bunch of us were over in Prague when one of the lads got the news his body had been found. Coming up 16 year now. RIP John.

Not committed in Sunderland, but I remember PC Keith Blakelock, who was murdered by a mob of about 50 people in the Broadwater Farm riots in the 80's, was reported at the time as being from Sunderland.

The ever-charming leader of Haringey Council back then, Bernie Grant, boasted about it, saying the police got what they deserved, "a bloody good hiding."

Winston Silcott was convicted of his murder but was released on appeal.
Iirc his parents lived just off Newcastle rd

Gaynor Batty for me as we were in the 5th year and one of my mates had been with her a few time when we used to go to crowtree. After her murder we all got interviewed by the police at school. Was f***ing awfull like made us all feel guilty!

Back