Sunderland cinema could re-open?

Hope it does reopen

Was canny for an unimaginative trip with the kids

I'd still only be prepared to pay a fiver or so though so I'll be part of the problem ongoing
Optimistic for a fiver , I thought empire was cheap and that was £7

This bit interested me , wondering if the plan is to move the cinema somewhere else?

The council development boss told councillors: “The likelihood is that we will sign an agreement with somebody early in the new year to operate a cinema from that existing site.

“The plan will be that will be there certainly for the medium term”.

This bit interested me , wondering if the plan is to move the cinema somewhere else?

The council development boss told councillors: “The likelihood is that we will sign an agreement with somebody early in the new year to operate a cinema from that existing site.

Went down to £5.99 which was a bargain.

Went down to £5.99 which was a bargain.
Gateshead was a fiver when we went to see Wonka early december. Heaving as well and loads buying kets, drinks popcorn etc to spend more.
I'm a tight arse so take my own kets if I feel like it but rarely need to. Just sit there with nowt most of the time.
Some fat kid like the one in Bad santa was sat next to me wife. He had one of those £4.50 Toblerones in one drink holder attached to the chair and a tube of Pringles in the other. He started with a Greggs pastie though. When we left my wife noticed brown dots on the arm of her black coat. The fat kid had obviously been slobbering that much some had gone all over her.

And sadly still underused. Might have been better to reduce the number of screens & screening times. The last time I went and a screen was full was The Force Awakens. Nothing since was more than half full, and I didn’t particularly avoid peak times.
Was probably too big towards the end. After Covid they reduced the screen times to 4pm start instead of 11am though they returned to the earlier times towards the end.

Gateshead was a fiver when we went to see Wonka early december. Heaving as well and loads buying kets, drinks popcorn etc to spend more.
I'm a tight arse so take my own kets if I feel like it but rarely need to. Just sit there with nowt most of the time.
Some fat kid like the one in Bad santa was sat next to me wife. He had one of those £4.50 Toblerones in one drink holder attached to the chair and a tube of Pringles in the other. He started with a Greggs pastie though. When we left my wife noticed brown dots on the arm of her black coat. The fat kid had obviously been slobbering that much some had gone all over her.

And this is one of the reasons many people prefer to watch in the comfort of their home.

Seriously though I'm all for the cinema. I do try and get to the cinema a few times a year.

Last one was Wonka and really enjoyed it.

And this is one of the reasons many people prefer to watch in the comfort of their home.

Seriously though I'm all for the cinema. I do try and get to the cinema a few times a year.

Last one was Wonka and really enjoyed it.
We considered going to see Maverick some time ago at Boldon or Sunderland when it came out. Ended up where it was gonna be something like £24 which included booking fee etc. We duffed it as agreed it would be streaming within a month or two. If Vue can do it for a fiver but still rake shitloads of cash from grub and drinks, plus gree parking at Gateshead Tesco, why do others charge so much just for the film?.
I have always been a right film buff but In all honesty, not many films grab my attention nowadays. Looked at upcoming top 50 films for 2024 and virtually nowt worth bothering with. Remakes, prequals, sequals and so on. Not much originality. Holdovers is shit hot though.

The fiver kids movies on a Saturday morning that were canny were my reference point for that.

No way on this earth I'd consider the Odeon in Durham for £13.50 or whatever

Funny one that though. Don't know much about stuff except for what I pick up on here

But suggests it wouldn't get modernised if it might move and be a wasted investment? Was a bit dated/past its best

The fiver kids movies on a Saturday morning that were canny were my reference point for that.

No way on this earth I'd consider the Odeon in Durham for £13.50 or whatever

Funny one that though. Don't know much about stuff except for what I pick up on here

But suggests it wouldn't get modernised if it might move and be a wasted investment? Was a bit dated/past its best
The odeon luxe in Durham is proper class, get free odeon tickets from Club Lloyds bank account which also work in the luxe! Result.

It won't happen as it sounds like a straight swap to another supplier , but would love a refit with an imax screen

We considered going to see Maverick some time ago at Boldon or Sunderland when it came out. Ended up where it was gonna be something like £24 which included booking fee etc. We duffed it as agreed it would be streaming within a month or two. If Vue can do it for a fiver but still rake shitloads of cash from grub and drinks, plus gree parking at Gateshead Tesco, why do others charge so much just for the film?.
I have always been a right film buff but In all honesty, not many films grab my attention nowadays. Looked at upcoming top 50 films for 2024 and virtually nowt worth bothering with. Remakes, prequals, sequals and so on. Not much originality. Holdovers is shit hot though.
Next Goal Wins is good anarl.
It’s in a crap position in regard to the rest of the city centre. Always has been. Ower many major roads to cross. Whoever takes it over will have the same problems. The can is being kicked down the road atm but I reckon the council have summet in mind. A new one with various capacity screens next door to the Black Bull would make far more sense.

Last edited:
Next Goal Wins is good anarl.
It’s in a crap position in regard to the rest of the city centre. Always has been. Ower many major roads to cross. Whoever takes it over will have the same problems. The can is being kicked down the road atm but I reckon the council have summet in mind. A new one with various capacity screens next door to the Black Bull would make far more sense.
Use the space where Debenhams is/was. That could work as well.

Back